Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Unusual Weather



Things have been really strange with the weather here.  Well, not really, but compared to the last few years it is.  May is traditionally our wettest month, which hasn't been true the last 5-7 years.  We have had severe drought ongoing during that time.  We now are almost constantly under threat of thunderstorms that could turn severe and it is pretty soggy most of the time.  We have been spared the tornadoes and flooding that other areas have endured.  In that regard we are fortunate.  We get threats and warnings of twisters pretty regular but nothing like those more to the north. 

The sun does make an appearance almost every day but the mornings start out very cloudy and the humidity.  Oh the humidity.  It looks like there are fires burning somewhere it is so hazy.  The fact is that there is smoke being combined with the very heavy humidity.  The smoke comes up from Mexico where they use fires to clear land and we get the benefit of their fires.  It goes on for over a month at least, well into June.  Did I mention the humidity?  It is pretty heavy here almost anytime of year, more than any western state and the upper reaches of Texas.  While it may be bad, it isn't near what I experienced in Georgia when we visited there a few years ago.  It was so thick there it was even hard to breathe.   We have had to use the AC earlier this year simply to clear out some of the humidity in the house.  Things are very green, even things that shouldn't be, like the rock on the side of our house.  We are growing algae.

Saturday saw a brief thunder shower and then some pretty strong winds.  I looked out to the garden and my tomato plants were laying on their sides.  They have gotten almost to tall for their own good.  When they start bearing, they will have trouble supporting their own weight.  Yes, I have cages around them to help support them, but they are too short and flimsy for these plants.  I have never had plants get this tall this fast.  They are also much to close together.  I wasn't worried about it at first since I have never had mutant giant tomato plants.  I have found some much more sturdy and bigger cages to use...next year.  That will give me time to save for them, they are very pricey.  169$ for six cages.  Yeah, I know.  But if I want this to work better and easier I will have to shell out for success.

My onions are being eaten by something.  I find several missing everyday.  They look pretty pathetic now.  Never had issues with onions before.  I don't expect to harvest any now.  So disappointing. 

I have decided I will probably at least double the size of the garden next year if not triple.  I only have 7 tomato plants but they have nearly overtaken the entire 4'x8' plot and they don't have enough room for themselves at this rate. 

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Yep, weather is getting back to the 'norm' of 5-7 years ago... Good luck with the tomatoes!