Tuesday, May 26, 2015

More Watches and Warnings



We have been having some pretty serious weather the last few days.  Thunder Storm watches and warnings along with tornado watches and warnings with more of the same for today and the rest of the week.  It's been worse here, much much worse.  Although just a few miles to the north of me they had a record flood where several people perished due to the Blanco River exceeding all previous floods on record.  There are still several people missing when their entire house washed down river and were destroyed as it hit the bridge crossing it.  One man was found alive twelve miles downstream.  His wife and young kids are still missing.

I don't want to make the tragedies that have happened recently due to the weather seem slight.  Several families have lost loved ones due to the flooding.  I can remember much worse on a wider scale, but the extended time of these storms seem unusual to my fading memory.  BTW, Kim made it home safe after her scare Saturday, a little rattled, but safe.  She heads out again to the resort today with another tornado/storm watch in effect.  She will keep a wary eye.  She will be pretty safe in that large structure that is much more sound than our small house should a twister show up. 

I don't know if any of the news videos have made the news where you are, but I have seen some things that were pretty horrifying.  One that really sticks in my mind was of the car being washed off a bridge and the brake lights coming on and then off as is overturned and then floated down the creek.  With everyone carrying phones that capture video now we are seeing much more of this type thing.  I never remember to do things like that.  I would be to shocked to 'video' some tragedy.  I would hope I had to the wherewithal to try and a help, when I could of course.  I don't want to put my thoughts into those that are able to think about taking video of a tragedy, but I do wonder what they are thinking.  Have we become so callous we don't even think about helping?  Like I said, I don't know what is going on in their mind or what the situation is so I don't want to condemn their actions.  I know I certainly do watch those videos, so where does that put me?  BTW, the car that got washed away, they reported the driver got out before it happened. 

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

We are seeing the videos... I guess MY problem with them is that people would rather video than help in some cases... Stay safe!