Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Regularly Scheduled Program


We now return to our regular program after yesterday's sermon.

My roof now leaks.  It's a pretty bad leak too.  Fortunately it is over the patio so nothing inside can get damaged.  I thought something looked different with the water on the patio but didn't detect any leak.  Chalked it up to wind blown rain.  Sunday morning in the midst of another 3" deluge there was even more water where it shouldn't be and also the drips from one of the ceiling joints.  I will need to head into town and get some roof caulk or patch to try to temporarily fix the leak.  The most likely spot is around the chimney and a spot where the roof repair guy showed me.  I need this to work for a while.  All the unusual expenses and Kim's business having really fallen off have wreaked havoc with our savings.  We haven't had enough or big enough hail to get an insurance claim for a new roof.  It could be worse.

Went out to the garden in the morning as I usually do, was going to pick a couple strawberries that I had been watching.  They were covered in mold.  Or they were wearing a little gray fur coat.  They look like they had been forgotten in the back of the fridge.  I guess that can be expected with as wet as it has been the last couple weeks.  I never would have guessed it would happen while still on the plant. 

While in town Sunday we went with some friends to lunch.  I have never had Thai food before.  Had been wanting to try it.  I had no real expectations other than hearing it is spicy.  Don't ask what I had, I couldn't tell you the name of it if I even tried.  It was a bowl of stir fried ground beef, bell peppers, onions, more hotter peppers and a side of rice.  I didn't expect ground beef.  Expected small slices like you would get with Chinese.  The waitress told me this was a spicy dish and did I want it mild, medium or Thai Hot.  I eat pretty spicy food most of the time with all the Mexican and Tex Mex down here.  So I am pretty used to hot foods.  But I took the weenie way out and went with medium.  It wasn't real hot but had some bite which was good.  Now I'm curious about Thai Hot.  The food was OK, I could eat it again but nothing outstanding.  I left hungry, even with the bowl looking pretty big, that type food just doesn't fill me up.  I had to add the rice to it to give it a little more heft.  I generally try to avoid rice due to what it does to my blood sugar, so I went lightly.  Still prefer a cheeseburger or enchiladas any day.

We finally got over to Mom's for Mother's Day.  It was good to be just the four of us.  Less commotion from to many people and were able to have a good visit.  They are doing pretty well.  Dad is having some sort of procedure Monday.  Injections to relieve some back pain.  It was either this or surgery and they didn't want to do surgery with his advanced age.  Hope he gets some relief.

In the mean time, I'll be up on the roof, if it quits raining for a bit, trying to repair that stinking leak.  I'll be obsessing over it until it stops.

Happy Trails

No comments: