Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Anniversary



This month marks my first visit to the Urologist that found my prostate cancer.  I haven't ever mentioned why the visit occurred in the first place other than to be treated for something other than suspicion of prostate cancer.  I had been on testosterone replacement therapy off and on over the last few years.  The last year had seen some things that my PCP decided warranted a visit to a Urologist.  Mainly that I was getting peaks and valleys of testosterone.  It wasn't consistent.       

If you will allow me to deviate a bit.  If you are considering this therapy, I will tell you here what I experienced.  The more information you have may help you decide which way to go. 

I was on injections.  Every Two weeks the wife would stick my butt.  Yeah, it would smart sometimes more than others.  Location is important.  For me it was best in the upper hip, a few inches below the belt line.  This type testosterone is a synthetic hormone.  There are side effects.  I will get to those shortly.

Why did I choose hormone replacement therapy?  There are a number of things a man can experience with low 'T.'  I was experiencing almost every one of them and had attributed it to either the aging process and or my diabetes.  Go here for a list of the symptoms: Low 'T' Symptoms.  And know that these aren't EVERY symptom.  I didn't find a complete list that I have seen elsewhere.

The biggest effects I noticed were lack of stamina while doing anything physical.  I would run out of gas much to early to the point of dizziness at times and so bushed I couldn't continue even after a rest.  Then there was a lack of focus/concentration.  I realize now how that affected me at work.  Things I knew I knew, I just couldn't get them to get done as easy as I had before.  That became a burden mentally.  When you are the only one that knows your job and folks depend on you for your answers/guidance and you have trouble telling them what they need, when you know very well you know the answers, well it sucks big time.  I also had joint pain that can be attributed to low 'T.'

What were my side effects of 'T' therapy?  Hair.  I started growing hair in places I never had it before.  Noticeably more hair in places I did have hair, except on the head.  One of nature's cruel jokes.  I had very little hair on my chest all my life and none on my back.  Well that changed.  No, I didn't look like I was wearing sweater.  It wasn't that bad.  There were also times you would think I was regressing into puberty.  Pimples.  Especially on the back.  My focus/concentration was much better.  Better stamina and strength.  These were the most noticeable of my symptoms.

There is a caution about this therapy.  Since it is a synthetic, I have been told that it ramps up cell production.  It is a steroid.  They just go nuts.  Hence the concern with this type therapy and cancer.  Especially Prostate Caner.  It DOESN'T CAUSE IT, it will help it grow if it is present.  One of the other side effects I experienced was my blood got too thick.  Thick enough that I had to have some removed every few months, 3-4.  I basically had to much blood.  That can be a major problem, it is really hard on your heart.  Donating blood that often can be a minor inconvenience too, if you force yourself to go regularly.

There are now options to this synthetic therapy.  It's an injection of pellets every 4-6 months.  It's supposed to be a 'natural' hormone replacement.   That is the route my Urologist was headed until he found the cancer. 

Now I am off ALL replacement therapy.  It is extremely noticeable to me as it happened quickly this time instead of gradually as before.  The lack of stamina, strength, focus and joint pain have returned along with everything else.  The Urologist has said he would try to get me back on therapy once I have been cancer free for one year.  That is still 6 months out.  However, there are concerns to consider.  Number one is the cancer.  Having had it, makes it more of a concern obviously.  Is it worth the trade off?  I had decided at one time to just forgo any therapy and just deal with the consequences.  Now that I have experienced the results of low 'T' in a quicker time frame they are more noticeable.  It was especially evident this past week that was filled with some considerable exertion with various tasks.  It depends on whether I can live with a certain quality of life.  I still need to learn more about this 'natural' replacement before I decide.

There it is.  These are the things I experienced.  They will be different for everyone else.  So get informed.  Most doctors now days won't tell you every thing you need to know unless you ask.  Most of the time we don't even know what to ask.  It's up to you to be in the know.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Thanks for the honest update. Hope this helps someone make the 'right' choices for themselves.