Monday, May 11, 2015

Mother's Day, mea culpa



Yes, I messed up.  We don't generally do anything real big for Mother's Day.  For most of our married life we have been the ones to go visit Mom's, in-laws and Grandmom's on that day.  Lots of travel time to various locations (4-5) in the city all in one day.  No big party, maybe a meal, but mostly visiting and letting them know our appreciation.  This year got a bit messed up.  The youngest son came over to church with us and then out to dinner.  We were to be at my Mom's at 2:30 and the oldest son would meet us their with his family.  We all show up and they aren't there.  Not like them at all.  They went to my brother's for lunch.  My Mom wanted to apologize, but it wasn't her fault at all.  I just assumed Kim had set the time up with them since she told me a specific time.  She has always been my social director.  Nope, she never spoke to her and neither did I.  We just didn't communicate, with her or each other. So I didn't get to see my mother.

Not a big deal really, except Kim started feeling bad about it.  She could tell I was a little aggravated to have gone all that way for nothing.  So it kinda ruined the day for her.  My Bad.  I shouldn't have let my aggravation show, but she see's it anyway.  It's my Mom, I should have been more involved even though this has fallen on her shoulders for years.  She has been really working hard with her business lately and that has occupied most of her time.  Sometimes we just don't get things done like we should.  I tried to take some of the heat off her by admitting that I just MAY have been the one that was at fault.  Actually I took all the heat.  But having the Grandkids out to the house and those people that take care of them, did a better job of making her feel better.

Our 40th anniversary is this year.  We have been wanting to do something more than we do for our usual.  Maybe a trip or a party.   With our lack of planning as our history we need to start on this NOW.  So it goes, 'What do you want to do?  I don't know what do you want to do?"   The kids had thought if we went on a trip that they would go with us to celebrate also.  We kicked around some ideas but never really settled on anything.  That was before the finances took a big hit this last year.  Kim has suggested a party.  I'm not much of a party sort, in fact I just don't like them much at all.  But, she will probably get what she wants and I will just have to suck it up.  Hopefully we can communicate on this better than we have.

Father's Day?  I don't know, what do you want to do?

Happy Trails


No comments: