Thursday, May 14, 2015

Soggy

It is very soggy here.  I got 2 more inches of rain Wednesday.  This is on top of the almost continual rain for about 2 weeks.  Actually it is almost every other day I have gotten from 0.25 to 0.50 inches.  There hasn't been time for things to ever get dry.  I really hate to complain with as dry as it has been over the last few years.  The extremists will tell us all that we are running out or water in the giant aquifer that supplies this part of the state.  I do try to conserve water and not waste.  While the aquifer does get lower and rivers have stopped running (first time I ever saw that) and springs dry up, they admit not knowing just how much water is in that aquifer.  

We have been on water use restriction for years.  Even in the 'green' years there is a permanent restriction on water use.  Another plus with all this rain is my water bill will be much lower as I won't use as much to keep the landscape barely alive.  We are restricted to one day a week watering landscape between certain hours.  It doesn't take a lot for your bill to quadruple over the summer months, even trying to conserve.

The habitat is really lush and green.  That may be one reason Buster hasn't had the chance to chase rabbits in the yard.  It was fun to watch him try to catch them.  He knew he wasn't going to catch them and so did they.  After a while he would just go through the motions because he knew it was his job.  The rabbits would know he wasn't really trying and just run in a big circle and stop, never leaving the yard.  They seemed to be taunting him.  It was fun to watch the interaction.  He would surprise them once in a while and get really close, but those cottontails are really quick and would evade him pretty easily and duck under the fence.  When he came back in the house proud of himself they would come back shortly thereafter.  Good Times.  I am not worried to much about them getting in the garden,  I have a wire fence around it just to deter them.  They could wipe me out in one night if they were determined.

I have a a couple leaks around the windshield and back window of my truck.  They usually only show up with a major deluge.  I got in it after a letting it sit for a week and noticed a musty smell.  Constant rain is evidently an issue for it now too.  Once it dries, I will have to get to using some window sealer I have.  There are actually several things this wet weather has put on hold.   There are a couple spots on the trim/fascia of the house that need to be caulked that have shown up with the constant wet.  Still thankful for the rain despite my complaints.

Happy Trails


No comments: