Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Out of Africa

The Sahara Desert has come to this part of Texas.  The skies are hazy with the dust that has travelled thousands of miles across the Atlantic.  It has played havoc with sinuses in these parts.  Fortunately I am not suffering from the onslaught of dust.  Not sure how long this is supposed to last.  This isn't anything new.  It happens most years.  It just seems a little heavier than most.  So we are assailed with the dust of Africa in July and the smoke from fires in Mexico in June.  Although this past June I didn't notice the usual haze and smell we get with the smoke.  It is much more bothersome than the dust as far as I'm concerned.  

I am still working on still busy with a few leather projects, mostly wallets the wife wanted for her inventory.  Of course wallets are the least enjoyable thing I do with leather.  But she is able to sell them so I comply somewhat grudgingly.  I also delivered the last leatherman scabbard, he was more than pleased.  I'm just glad to have things like that to do that can make others happy.  I also found a couple holster kits I forgot I had.  I think I will just keep those on hand for special orders.

I had to cut the grass in the back this morning.  It was getting out of hand.  But that is by design mostly.  I let the grass grow much longer than normal in this heat.  It helps it survive a little better.  
The shorter cuts tend to burn up this time of year, especially in the areas exposed to direct sunlight most of the day.  It also saves on water, and we are on increased restrictions just recently.  The yard for the most part is in pretty good shape considering the time of year it is.  I also hit something unseen in the tall grass.  I will be replacing a window now.

I think my garden is just about done though.  Stink bugs have invaded and they seem to affect the ripening process.  From what I understand they sting the tomato (I didn't know they had stingers) and the spot that happens refuses to ripen.  The tomato will eventually rot before ripening.  I will probably be jerking them out in the next week or so.  I will try to get the last few green ones off when they ripen.  I won't plant any Fall tomatoes this year.  I will let it go dormant and cover it to kill off the bermuda I can't seem to stop from growing in there.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Yep, it's that time of year... I can't AFFORD to water... sigh