Thursday, July 20, 2017

More Leather

I delivered the latest Leatherman tool scabbard last night.  Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of it.
Maybe just as well, I don't think it was some of my best work.  These scabbards seemed to be more difficult to make than most other things I have of similar size.  I think it mostly is I didn't have any pattern to base my cuts on.  So I had to do it as I went.  Consequently there were some details that didn't work as easily as you might think.  Thus I had more issues with how it turned out than I would have prefered.  If I had had more leather I would have made another one with fewer errors.  The Fire Fighter I made them for was very happy with how they turned out.  He was more than pleased when I gifted him the last one since it will be the one he wears at his job.  It was just a small thank you for what he does in his line of work on the rescue squad and being a Marine veteran of Iraq.  I truly admire this young man.

I bit the bullet and ordered a side of leather today.  It should last me a good while with as little as we are selling now.  But it is good to have on hand and will give me something to do when I get too bored and keep my hand in it.  I do notice my skills have slipped a little since I haven't worked with leather much lately.  I have a few ideas for some things that the wife may be able to sell at the resort. 
I will be looking for patterns for various things I have in mind while I am waiting on the leather to get here.  Since the summer is coming to a close and a huge fall off in the time the wife will spend plying her trade at the resort, this isn't the best time to have ordered leather and have new ideas.  It's what I get for procrastinating.

I have a cousin I rarely ever see that lives a good distance from me.  He is about my age.  He fell off a ladder.  I don't know many of the details but apparently he was using a chainsaw while on the ladder.
I am assuming he was trimming some trees.  The chainsaw hit his head and injured his skull and brain.  He isn't doing too well.  I am trying to keep up through the book of faces so information is only sporadic.  So if you can spare a good thought or prayer it is appreciated.

We made a trip down to my parents and took the DNA test for my Dad.  Mine and his will go in the mail today.  We had lunch with them and visited a while.  Then we had to hit the road early to try and beat the hellish traffic we have to go through to get home.  We still hit jams even though rush hour was still  hours away.  They live all the way across Libtardville from where we live.  It gets harder and harder to travel over there and back.  Consequently we don't make as many trips as we should.  I dread having to make an emergency trip some day and having to do it during rush hour.  It's best not to think about it.

OK, time to get back to some minor leather work, thanks for stopping by.

Happy Trails.

No comments: