Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Bits and Pieces

A lot of random things today.  Sorry nothing exciting.  The 'Rib' and I went out for a matinee movie yesterday and later that evening went to have a steak.  This was part of a delayed anniversary celebration for us.  She had to work on the actual day and our plans were to celebrate the next day.  
That also got postponed as our #2 Son wanted us to meet his lady friend.  The movie was fun and the steaks were great.  It turns out that a delayed celebration is just as good as on the real date.

The garden is still going great.  Still a lot of green tomatoes on the vine.  However it has gotten too hot for any new fruit to set and it has been for awhile.  I am also trying to stay on top of keeping the grass in my yard from turning into crispy critters.  So the water bill will be very high this month.  It usually is from June thru September unless we get timely rain.

I ordered a DNA test kit today.  It is something I have been curious about since various companies have been offering them to the general public.  The price was always too high.  However, the prices have dropped over the years as they develop them more and they also become more complex and accurate.  From what I have been reading, you almost have to have a genetics degree to make any real sense of them, at least for me.  But hopefully I can grasp some of the rudiments.  It will be interesting to see if the family legends of where we came from match up.  I am especially curious about possible Cherokee DNA.  However from what I have read, a majority of Americans that claim Native American DNA claim it is Cherokee for some reason.  I don't think this test determines tribe at all, just Native American DNA.  I don't think they have gotten that far along in development and have a data base large enough to draw from.  I was going to get one for my Dad too but the price deal would only allow me one.  

The wife is off to the resort to earn her keep.  Just kidding.  I am here alone and am trying to get motivated to start another leather scabbard for a leatherman tool.  I got some feedback from the other one I delivered and will make some considerable adjustments.  He is a Firefighter and wears this one at work and the things he has asked for will be for his specific job/equipment.  I hope to do him justice on this one.  He loved the other one and was wearing it when I saw him.  Great guy, for a Marine.  Just kidding, I hold all Marines, former or current with high respect.

Happy Trails

No comments: