Tuesday, July 4, 2017

July 4th

This is not your usual Independence Day post.  In 2005 the wife and I celebrated our 30th anniversary in Washington DC.  We thought it would be a fun way to celebrate by visiting the capitol and hitting the Mall that evening and watching the spectacular fireworks.  While we were in the area I couldn't pass the opportunity to go up to Gettysburg.  It had been on my bucket list.  It is something I anticipated and built up in my mind more than I should have.  Every time I visit a War Between the States battlefield I make it a point to visit the Texas monuments if Texans fought there.  Since this anniversary of the battle was this week I will post a few photos I took while there.  No it won't be politically correct, so if that may offend you, too bad.   Consider yourself warned.

This is what I try do at every Texas Monument.  Posting the Colors.



Then a few other significant areas around the battlefield.

From Little Round Top


Little Round Top


Ole Pete (Gen. Longstreet) at the form up area at Pickett's Charge


And I restaged the fake dead sniper photo that is very famous.  Too bad I didn't bring my living history gear.  But they may have frowned on my bringing my 1853 Enfield.


And on July 4th we visited Arlington to pay respects to a dear friend



No disrespect was intended by posting the Battle Flag.  He was a hard core Rebel and asked that his coffin be draped with the Battle Flag.  A true Patriot and Army through and through.  He wanted to be called Colonel and we did.

And Finally Marse Lee's Home-Arlington House.






It was a memorable trip.

Happy Independence Day.



2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Glad you got to make that trip, and see those sights. SO many Americans never get the chance. Happy Independence Day to you and yours, sir!

Harry Flashman said...

I was stationed at Quantico on and off over the years. In the late seventies my little brother was stationed there at the same time I was, and we made the grand tour of all the civil war battlefields in the east. We really enjoyed visiting Gettsyburg, although our civil war ancestors were in the Army of Tennessee and didn't right there.

I enjoyed your pictures.