Monday, July 17, 2017

DNA

I am trying to finish up that leatherman scabbard today.  I received my order for some wallet kits this weekend so that will keep me busy most of this week.  I am on the verge of ordering a side of leather. The wife has been pushing me to do this for a few weeks, but I just don't want to spend the money.  I probably will bite the bullet some time this week and just order it.  It will last me a good while.  Even though things have been a bit slow with leather work, I wouldn't have the excuse to turn down work then.

I bought the wife a Kindle Fire during the Amazon Prime days.  It was on sale extremely cheap.  She has already used it some.  This is for a decidedly non-techie person.  Even if she doesn't use it much we aren't out much money and she may just use it once it a while.

I also ordered an Ancestry DNA kit for myself and one for my Dad.  These were on sale also, much cheaper than I have ever seen them.  Hopefully we can get an idea of our lineage.  I dabble with genealogy some and have hit several brick walls.  The most perplexing is my Dad's true Grandfather. The one we get our surname from.  We have little to no information on who the real one is.  It was kept hush hush in those days.  We will head over to my parents house on Wednesday and take the DNA kit for my Dad.  Not sure how this will work out.  Have been reading about DNA and elderly folks having trouble producing enough saliva and the test being invalid.  Plus, they send you a link for your results instead of a paper copy.  This will work OK for me, but not so sure it will be copacetic with my Dad.  I will have to navigate that for him and that hasn't always worked out well. Hopefully I can access it and be able to print it out for him.  However there is so much detail about types of chromosomes etc., that I know I won't even know how to decipher most of it.  I know it will be tough for him also.  We shall see what this reveals.  

It appears that Son #2 is on the road to matrimony.  Just when I had resolved for myself that it may never happen.  He is extremely happy and we are very happy for him.  This is all happening very quickly so it is a bit to wrap our heads around at this point.  I have to keep asking the wife to repeat things we have been told in order to keep it straight in my head.  She lives two and a half states away so we know only what he tells us.  It has been more than we expected coming from someone that is so private.  We met her once over a meal in a restaurant.  First impression is very good.  My Granddaughter met her also and made her thoughts known in no uncertain terms.  She wants more cousins to play with since it is only her and her brother on our side.  She has quite a few on her Mom's side.  Oh, and she said this to his intended.  She is normally very shy and reserved but got out of her shell where this was concerned.  It didn't scare the young lady one bit and she apparently thought it was cute.  

The tomatoes are still producing but have decidedly slowed down and there are only green ones waiting to ripen, no more new fruit/blossoms due to the heat.  If they survive the brutal month of August them we should see some blooms return around mid September.  We about sick of tomatoes at this point and have been giving more away than we are eating.  

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Good luck with the genealogy stuff!