Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Great Article

The Old NFO had a great article the other day and he has given me permission to link to it.  It was a time I still remember well.  I just missed out having to go over to Viet Nam in the early 70's.  In a heated emotional moment just a few weeks after high school graduation that summer I was planning to go into the Marine Corp.  I let a friend that had gotten into trouble with the law talk me into considering the 'buddy program'  and we would join together.  I had never really considered it previously although I figured I would eventually be in the military, but not then, and not the Marines. The Navy was the most likely.  Why didn't I go after-all?  My Dad of all people talked me out of it.  I never expected him to do that.  Getting me out of the house would have been more his style.  So he got my attention with this uncharacteristic action.  In short he was afraid I would be sent to Viet Nam and didn't want me there.  Being dumb and impressionable he convinced me to not join the Marines.

I have some regrets that I never served my country as I should have.  Although had I, I would never have met the woman I am married to today, the love of my life.  So those regrets take a back seat and I don't dwell on them.  I do what I can to support our armed forces in various ways.  I won't talk about that here as I don't want to make it seem I am patting myself on my back.  Just know it's not just talk.

In 2005 we had our 30th wedding anniversary.  We wanted to do something special to commemorate that.  For some reason I came up with the idea of going to Washington D.C. for July 4th, which is our anniversary.  We could celebrate on the Mall with 2 million other Americans, our anniversary and our Country's.  While there we took in the usual sights, the Smithsonian, the Archives, Arlington (visited a friend that is interred there as a promise to myself) and the many monuments.  The one that stands out most in my mind was the Viet Nam Memorial.  Not only is it breathtaking, but seeing all the momentoes laid at the wall, including photos of those that had not returned was moving for me.  I am sure my eyes were wet during that visit.  It gave me much to think about.

So Old NFO's article was meaningful to me to say the least.  It is worth your time to visit there and take the time to read it.  I knew some of this, but there is much more I had forgotten or didn't know.  

Happy Trails

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Thank you sir.

Harry Flashman said...

Looking back it's always strange to think about seemingly innocuous events that were determining factors in our lives.