Monday, February 6, 2017

Birthdays

The month of February sees a lot of birthdays in my family.  Both Grand-kids, my son, mine, and most notably my wife's.  Along with that my son's in-laws also have numerous birthdays.

Since we have been married, Kim has never had a 'party' for her birthday.  Prior to that I have no idea if she did.  She has put on a couple for me even though I am not a party sort of guy.  She is, and unfortunately for her she is stuck with me.  Oh we have done things like go out for a special supper with family, but nothing that would be considered a party.

This year is a BIG one for her.  So I decided a surprise party would be a good thing.  Since I am not a party guy I wasn't sure where to start or come up with ideas.  I contacted my sons back in December and let then know about the significance of this coming one and I would need their help.  Plenty of time to plan, right?  I talked about some ideas with one of them and promptly forgot about it.  Until my son texted me about it again this past weekend.  I was chagrined that I had forgotten this to say the least.  Time is short now.  He had been talking with a friend that manages a restaurant and had some ideas on how this could go.  To tell the truth, it wasn't even in the ball park of the ideas I had.  I had considered something more intimate where we as a family had put this together i.e. the food, the place etc.  But since time was so short I considered it, until I looked at pricing for something like that for 40 folks.  I had to think of something else in a hurry.  I was freaking out.  

I wanted her to have a party with some of her friends with our family thrown in.  Around 40 guests was my estimate.  The location and time frame of the restaurant also made it problematic.  It would be over an hour drive for many of the guests in an area unfamiliar, through an extremely crowded highway.  Most would do it for her, but what a PITB.  Freaking out even more.  I had to spill the beans to Kim and get her input/ideas especially since she keeps the books and I know we are on a really tight budget.  While it ruined my surprise, she was more than touched just because I had the idea.  I told you before she has a very tender heart.  Of course we came up with a winner if some issues could be addressed.  And they were and a date and time has been set along with a location.  

However, when I texted the son that had talked to the restaurant, he let me know they may have a conflict with the time frame.  They have a 'family' birthday celebration at his in-laws that day of course.  He also said he didn't think it could be changed.  Then he texts me and says it's at 2 PM so that may work after all.  I will recover from my mini stroke just fine.....SMH.

Happy Trails.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Hope it all works out! :-)