Thursday, February 9, 2017

Very Warm

The last couple days have been very warm, reaching the upper 80's, 88 in fact.  So I drug my lazy butt outside to work in the yard.  I have put that off way too long.  Managed to get quite a bit done in regard to the dead vegetation in front of the house.  Now it doesn't look so bad when you see it from the street.  I use an electric leaf blower to help move all the leaves that have piled up.  It uses a long extension cord, it's not the gas powered kind.  While doing this, I noticed a lot of sparks coming from the socket where the cord plugs into the blower.  I shut it off ASAP, too late.  It looked like an arc welder.  Evidently the cord had worked itself loose.  Enough that is was arcing over to the blower plug.  It fried my cord and the blower.  This was before I got completely finished.  I have another one on order.  It has a better connection that should keep that from happening again.  We have a lot of leaves all the time so I use it pretty often.  They are not that expensive considering how much I use it.

My brisket turned out excellent.  We were going to freeze it for the future.  We would invite some friends over to enjoy it with us.  However I just learned that a good friend's Mother-in-law just passed away.  We will most likely take it over to them.  Taking food to those that have lost loved ones is a tradition around here.  I can only assume that it is something that is done throughout the South from what I have read.  Others can correct my assumption if I am wrong.

We mailed the letter of our response to our friend that has us so worried.  It went in the mail Wednesday.  I don't expect a quick response if at all.  No answer would indicate bad news.  Any answer could also be bad news.  Whatever the end result there will be lasting ramifications.  The wife has been holding up better emotionally.  When she has time to build that wall around her heart she deals OK with bad things.  It takes a long time, but it is never invulnerable.

Today is my oldest Son's birthday.  39 years old.  Doesn't seem like it was that long ago I was 39.  His son, my Grandson's birthday is Saturday, he will be 7.  When I was 39, my son was already a teenager.  Will we head over to his house Saturday for that.  

Happy Trails

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

At least it didn't arc and spark THROUGH your hand! Yes, taking food is a Southern thing. AKA Baptists and casserole dishes. The South didn't have the 'cold storage' that the North did, so food spoiled faster. When there was a death, the family was busy dealing with that and didn't have time to prepare food ahead of time (At least that's what my grandmothers both told me (they were born in the late 1800s')).

Randy said...

Thanks Old NFO-that sounds similar to what I thought although I hadn't heard about the cold storage part but it makes sense

Harry Flashman said...

Bad luck on the electrical short. I had a wall socket burst into flames once, not a fun experience. It's good to get out and get things tangible done. Then when you are finished, you can look and see what you accomplished.