Monday, September 26, 2016

And It Rained.....

And it's still raining.  We woke up to 5.5 inches in the rain gauge this morning.  That is on top of 1.1 inch Saturday evening and another 2.3 Sunday.  We had been in serious need of rain for a while.  With the late heat we have been having things had gotten pretty crispy for this time of year.  But we have gotten more than we need in such a short span.  We are, at least, supposed to see some cooler weather this week finally. 

At this moment there are several high water rescues that are ongoing.  One of my friends works on the local swift water rescue teams for the local fire department.  I am sure he is busier than he wants to be.  This happens every time there is a large amount of rain.  It is nothing new and you would think after all these years of the same thing happening over and over we would have less as people would learn a few things about high water.  But, no, that never happens it seems.  There are just as many now and maybe more as when I was a kid more years ago than I care to think about.  Even with all the measures taken to prevent this from occurring, from active to passive, nothing seems to be effective, enough to reduce the loss of life.  My friend tells me that even when nothing gets in the news about high water rescues and it seems all are safe for once, that is not the case.  They are still out rescuing someone that has done something stupid or made a really bad choice.  Most of the victims they rescue are homeless and usually have an altered state of mind.   If I was the cold hearted type I would say let Darwinism do it's work.  I just can't do that.  Along with all this danger it also puts the rescuers in immediate danger and they will risk their lives to save people that have made a really stupid choice.  It also affects the families of the rescuers with worry and stress about their loved one.  I don't think there is an answer for this sort of thing unfortunately.  

I have a painting project lined up.  One of the bathrooms and an adjoining hallway.  The rain is causing me to delay that for a bit until it is less humid.  It is just to hard for it to dry properly, especially on doors.  They tend to be a little sticky afterwards.  I need to get this done pretty quick as we have a bunch of folks coming over for BBQ the Friday after next.  This and Kim's project that is due on Thursday will be keeping us busier than I want to be.  

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

We got right at 6 inches overnight Saturday. Had the same mess up here. Good idea to hold off on the painting, paint and moisture laden air don't work well together! (BTDT)