Friday, March 11, 2016

2016 Garden



Last years garden was a huge success as far as I'm concerned.  So much so that the tomato plants I had took over the entire 4x8 patch.  The tomato cages I used were just not up to the task.  They are much flimsier than previous versions I have had and disposed of.  Yes, chucked about a dozen of them out years ago when I thought I would not try another garden due to the poor soil here.

I doubled the size of the garden for this year.  I also needed to upgrade the tomato cages.  My garden guru clued me in to some other cages that he uses.  I ordered a half dozen of them.  I don't want the mess I had with them last year.  I want them more contained and less likely to take over every inch.  I am growing a few other things this time than last.  Added two types of peppers, bell and jalapeno since those are what we use the most.   
 
These are taller, 6' and much sturdier.  They won't bend like the others did.

This is the box they came in, it was a real struggle hauling that thing to the back yard when it arrived


This is one ready to go.  The older one is there also.


Plants ready to go in the ground once the rains stops,


Yeah, the cages were very expensive.  No the garden production won't offset the cost.  It won't even off set the cost of last years garden.  We don't eat enough of the things we grow to ever make any difference.  I do it because the flavor of fresh veggies is so much better and it keeps me out of trouble by keeping me busy.  Well sometimes anyway.  It is also good for conversation, with other gardeners and with those you bless with your over production.  I really like that part, giving to others and seeing them smile.

Happy Trails

No comments: