Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The New Craft

That's what I am calling it right now.  I have mentioned this a couple times.  It hasn't developed enough for me to feel comfortable calling it a skill.  

Coin Rings.  I find this very fun.  Kim thinks she can sell them with her wares.  They will be pretty cheap to begin with.  They still need a little more refining.  I have been given some good feedback from others I have gifted with these.  

Every little step reveals the need for another tool.  It can be done without some of these tools, but these extra tools adds a more professional edge/look and make it much easier and with less goofs.  I have a small arbor press coming tomorrow that should really help with the finished look.  I had been using a hammer and doming block and vise to do it's job with mixed results.  A propane torch was another tool that really helped with the progression.  All in all I have probably spent around 200$ getting geared up for this.  Not very much at all.  However, making the money back will require a lot of quarters to be turned into rings.  There are some issues of sizing, which type of quarter i.e. state, date etc.  Just having enough on hand to meet a lot of expectations, and finding the right ones that are in good enough condition.  It should keep me busy.  Yes, the leather work had been put on the back burner but not abandoned.  I enjoy it to much to do that and I have plenty of time to do both.

I would like to show you photos of some of the rings I have produced.  I haven't quite figured out how to show the detail I from others that have done this work and posted the results.  I can hardly see the details with my eyes so the camera really needs to zoom in tight and still keep it focused.

Happy Trails

No comments: