Friday, July 3, 2015

40 Big Ones

Tomorrow.  It's hard to believe it has been that long that my beautiful sweet bride said "I DO."  Yes, July 4th, 1975.  At the time it seemed like a good idea to get married on that date.  It would have been a different date, but there were several couples that we ran with that were all getting married that summer and that was the first date (weekend) that hadn't had a wedding in 2 weeks.  We surmised that we would both be off every 4th, so it was a good thing.  'Well how'd that work out for ya?'  Well it hasn't been perfect.  Almost every place we tried to go to for a nice meal was usually closed back then (not so much now).  Vacation spots are always way to crowded.  Anyone else that might want to celebrate with us, already had plans.  We usually had some sort of fireworks anyway.

Back in 2005, our 30th, we wanted to do something special.  My first idea was, since it's July 4th, why not Washington D.C.

Be sure to click on each picture for a better view.
 

Neither of us had been there and we knew there would be fireworks on the Mall just for us.



We celebrated with about a million of our closest friends.

 
So we planned a long vacation that would take in various sites along the way.


Gettysburg
 
And I was politically incorrect.  I posted colors at the Texas  Monument.







And visited a friend at Arlington.

It was one of the greatest vacations/anniversaries ever.


This 40th was supposed to be another 'special' one.  We had started thinking about it two years ago.  I wanted this one to be better than the 30th.  We kicked around some ideas, the kids even thought they would go with us as we have had great vacations together in the past.  This was sounding better all the time.  The problem was deciding just where.  We all had different ideas. 

Things started going South with that idea almost immediately.  Kim had to have surgery.  I had to have surgery later.  Kim's resort issues cropped up, on and on.  You get the idea.  Consequently, this year there won't be any big deal celebration or trip.  The kids soon forgot about it and have never once mentioned it since.  And to top it all off, Kim is working both resorts the entire day.  Not even a cheap meal out it appears.  But, I will still get to see my sweetie, the Love of my Life that morning and she will be coming home to me.  I am blessed by her presence.  I won't let the bad out weigh the good.  I thank the Lord every day for the gift I have received.

Maybe next year.

Tell the one you love, now, not later.

Happy Trails

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Sorry that you're not getting that 'special' anniversary, but you ARE in a way. Forty years is special in itself. God has blessed y'all in many ways, and there is a whole year yet to celebrate! :-)

Randy said...

Thanks NFO, exactly how I am looking at it.

Anonymous said...

You are truly the Love of My Life! Thank you for all the support and love. Love you bunches.

CenTexTim said...

NFO +1

I sure hope Anon above is Kim... :-)

Congrats to you both!