Monday, July 27, 2015

It is Hot, But It Could Be Worse

Not as hot as it has been.  Last year was pretty mild, this year seems to be pretty mild also compared to what it was a couple years ago when we set records for number of days in a row it reached or exceeded 100*.   So I don't want to complain to much, but hey, it seems to be what we do.  If it's hot we want it cold, if it's cold we want it hot.  We live on the edge of a desert, so we should expect it to get hot.  Usually the humidity abates some come July, but this year not so much.  It makes the warm weather much worse.  It can be worse than higher temps with the low humidity.  Although I haven't registered a 100* temp yet and I don't believe the weather geeks have either, the gauge on Kim's car is regularly well over that mark.  Reflective heat mostly. 


The heat is starting to affect my garden.  The tomatoes have noticeably slowed production.  The tomatoes that have already set, aren't getting as big either.  I have also noticed quite a bit of 'second growth'.  It looks like a tomato that has gotten too much water and split.  But that is certainly not the case.  I have done very little watering at all in order to avoid that.  So I am not sure what is causing that.  Consequently I am picking tomatoes now much sooner than I would.  Before they are really ripe.  I am doing this to try to avoid more of that split thing.  Sometimes it skins over and we are good to go.  Other times the bugs find it and it gets tossed over the fence where the deer hang out.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

It's all in the amount of water the tomatoes are getting. And the skin becoming more fragile the closer to ripeness...