Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Dog Days



It is that time in Texas.  The hottest time of the year.  



However, it isn't near as hot here as it has been in the past.  We have yet to hit 100*.  This is a good thing.  We also had been in a pervasive drought for 5 years or so.  With the drought came water restrictions.  Those restrictions have been lifted, although we have permanent times we are allowed to water.  This is both good and bad.  It means I will be able to keep up with watering the landscape and not let it get too dry.  With the previous restrictions we could only water one day per week.  I got in the habit of watering that day without fail due to the drought.  That becoming a routine saved our landscape.  Now, I will have to watch the landscape closer to detect heat stress/lack of water.  I will have to develop that habit.  With all the rain we have had I had gotten complacent and some parts of the yard suffered.  Now I am trying to make up for it.

I have one of these bad boys.  If you don't have a sprinkler system this is the next best thing.



One day last week I was outside adjusting the sprinklers and the water company just happened to be out reading my meter.  He actually approached me.  I thought I was busted for violating water restrictions as I had not yet checked and it wasn't 'my day'.  At it turns out my water meter was giving him the exact reading he got last month.  He verified that it wasn't working.  He explained the process of what will happen.  They will average the last 2 months that it worked and last June/July/ bill for the same period and base this latest charge on that.  I guess the fact that I have not watered at all this year until that day won't show up and my bill will be considerably higher since I had an extremely high bill last year due to the drought.  From 10-20/mo to 200, sheesh.   I will see how it turns out, if I need to protest the amount.  The meter will be replaced as soon as they can get to it. 




It may be an entire month.  In the mean time, considering I will most likely be billed more than I actually use I will be more vigilant keeping up with the landscape.

With this heat and the humidity down at the coast we won't be heading that way as we would like.  It will have to wait until Sept. or Oct.  In the mean time I will work on some more leather items I have in mind and a few coin rings and try to generate a few $$. 

Keep Cool and Happy Trails

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Ouch, yeah they always seem to 'err' on THEIR side... Hope it's not too bad. We're getting the weather you've been having, about three or four days after you do. High 90s with high humidity is NOT fun!

CenTexTim said...

We left town when it was still relatively cool and things were still somewhat green.

Came back to the high 90s and lots of brown.

Yuck!