Friday, June 10, 2016

Day Trip

Before we even made coffee in the morning I asked Kim if she wanted to go for our morning walk or go to the coast.  Without hesitation she said 'coast.'  So we started scurrying around to get ready to head south and sit on the beach at Padre Island.  We left around 9:30 AM so we missed all the city rush hour traffic and arrived sometime around 1 PM.

Birds of some sort, all I know is some sort of sea gull and the other, no idea.


The water was as clear as I have ever seen it.  That doesn't happen too often



Buster wasn't impressed.



He doesn't care for water and he would only go so far in and only with one of us taking him in.  Otherwise, he steered clear.  He tried to keep the sea gulls off HIS beach.  At least as close as his leash would allow.  I can't trust him off leash.  Once he gets zoned in on something, his recall is totally ineffective.  Unfortunately this limits our freedom of movement.  We actually tried to leave him at home, but as we were leaving we see him trying to dig out of the yard under the fence.  He has done this before, but it's been over 10 year since he has gotten out.  So we loaded him up.  I would rather be inconvenienced than come home and find him gone.

Due to the heat and lack of shelter from the sun we don't generally go this time of year.  It gets too hot and I burn much to easy.  We only stayed a couple hours and headed back home.  Just in time for our regular supper time.

Maybe we can do this come October when it's much cooler and we can stay a little longer.

Happy Trails.

4 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

Wow. I envy you . I have been wanting to go to Tybee Island but we never seem to get away. I haven' been to Padre Island since the summer of 1972, when I was at Corpus Christi Naval Air Station for training.

You were right there where Coffebottlerocket lives. He's a good guy, doesn't have a blog though.

We take the ferrets when we go. They like the beach, but they have to stay on their harnesses least they run off into the sand dunes faster than we can go after them.

CenTexTim said...

Wait - you drove 3 1/2 hours down there, got sandy and sunburned for a couple of hours, and drove 3 1/2 hours back ... all in the same day?!?

I did the same thing once, but I was 18 ... and beer may have been involved.

Randy said...

CenTexTim-yes, as crazy as it sounds, we did. Not the first time either. I get enough sun and sand after a while and am ready to head home. No alcohol was involved. In fact the wife told me just last night she was ready to go again.

Randy said...

Harry Flashman-it was as nice as I have seen it there in sometime. less trash on the beach, clear water and not near as windy as usual.