Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Sound Bytes



Read a few things about Trump winning South Carolina that confused me.  I admit I don't have a full grasp of how the caucuses work.  It sounds like everyone is all but conceding Trump as the eventual republican nominee.  The confusing part there have only been 3 states that have held a vote.  Yet many are claiming it's over.  He only won two of the three and there are many more to go.   
I understand that his victory over Cruz with all the evangelicals in SC was a surprise.  I think it is an indication as to how dissatisfied the voters have become.  They are willing to vote for someone that would usually have no chance, even if it means going against their principles.  This, and we have become a nation of low informed voters that just listen to the sound bytes.  I truly believe that most voters only hear these sound bytes and have no real idea what the person is really about.  Trump is a perfect example of this.  How else do you explain obama's rise.  Rhetoric and sound bytes.  That is all they are.

I had a friend explain his position on Trump somewhat.  This is a summation only not actual words.  Trump has 9 billion dollars in the bank.  How much do you have, a few hundred?  You will judge his smarts based on that?  That means he is smarter than anyone with less money.  This makes him Presidential material in his eyes.  I say horse hockey.  I truly believe he may be worse than obama if he gets in.  He is not much different than a school yard bully, a petulant little kid that resorts to threats to get HIS way.  No compromise.  I agree there are times you should not compromise.  His stance isn't based on principles.  His only principle is himself. 

His appeal doesn't totally surprise me, but his lasting power has.  I keep expecting something to come out of his mouth that will end his run.  But the sound bytes keep coming and the voters keep swallowing.

No I ain't voting lefty either.  I have considered sitting it out.  I don't know if I could live with myself if I did that.
After I wrote the above, I found this article that explains pretty much how I view what is going on with Trump voters.

Happy Trails


No comments: