Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Garden Prep



Got up Monday morning with the goal to start work on my small garden.  When I went outside and the 25 mph winds put a damper on that idea.  Those winds coupled with a mid to upper 40's temps makes it much to uncomfortable for a retired man to work in.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  So no work was done on Monday.

The plans for the garden require me to remove the plastic I covered the new area with.  This is done to kill off any grasses prior to placing soil.  It saves me from having to dig up the ground.  Makes it much easier since I don't own a tiller.  Pro Tip: use black plastic, not clear.  The clear acts as a green house.  I didn't have enough black and used a small bit of clear and the grass is doing very well there.  I had to LOL at myself on that one.  I knew that and just had a brain fart.  So there will be some grass removal required after all.  I also need to place a weed barrier down prior to bringing the new soil.  This also helps with preventing the grass from growing up into the garden.  I hate weeding a garden so I do as much as I can before hand to prevent as much as possible  But we have Bermuda in this area and it can and will grow through that barrier.  Just not as much, so it is tolerable for me to pull it out.  If I didn't do it this way, I would lose the garden to the grasses/weeds due to my antipathy for weeding.  It's just a thing with me.  Probably from my childhood.  Dad made me do that just to get me out of his sight.  Never did plant anything where I was required to weed.  Did I tell you I hate weeding?

Not completely sure what I will plant this year.  Tomatoes are certain.  There will most likely be no pear tomatoes this year.  They took over the garden last year and made it hard for the others to even develop.  Plus we had an over abundance to the point we didn't want to eat them anymore.  I want to consider other vegetables.  Peppers, I have never had much luck with them, either Jalapeno, bell or Serrano.  I may try again.  Onions are there now and looking very good.  The strawberry plants are still going but it seems you have to have a ton of them to get enough fruit to be worthwhile.  Green beans are a no go since I am the only one that likes them, plus they take up to much room as does squash, cantaloupes and watermelons.  Small gardens are great but have their challenges for a novice like me.  I plan on bringing in two loads of soil this time. One full one for the expansion area and some to place in the current to freshen it up.  Makes for a long day with my little truck, hauling and unloading and placing and back again and repeat.

It is supposed to get fairly warm this week so later in the week this plan could still be in play.  As with most things there are 'other' plans that can get in the way and alter previous plans.  Such is this week.  Tuesday was my oldest Son's Birthday.  No plans were made until we checked with them.  We try to get over that way and have a small celebration of some sort.  Even if it is just a quick visit to drop off a card with some cash stuffed inside.  In fact the weather should be good enough for a quick run down to Padre Island and sit on the beach for a few hours watching the waves and the bird life.  We will have to see if that is a go or not.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Do you what you can, when you can :-)