Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Finished

A friend brought me a few of those new 'President' dollar coins.  I hadn't seen any or even knew about them.  They are very similar to the Sacajawea coin made a while back.  All he wanted in return was a ring made from one.  



I couldn't get it to show up in these, but you can still see George Washington (that was this coin) on the inside.  Not that anyone else would ever see that, but I think that's cool to have an inscription of sorts on the inside.

The leather knife sheath I have been working on was much more of a challenge than I expected.  I had made one similar prior to this so it was familiar.

The one above was perfect size for this type sheath.  Since there is no keeper for the knife, the sheath must fit tightly to hold the knife secure.  That is done on the handle of the knife.  The bigger the better.

This recent one had a knife handle that was very thin.  Not much to grip and its length added to the challenge.  Cosmetically this would never have seen the light of day.  But I need it to be tested out and feed back supplied to refine the design.




As  you can see. the one above is similar to the other but with some major modifications.  The belt has only one slot to go into and it loops over the sheath to add to the security to keep the knife in place.  


But, as you can see above not having the extra belt slot, this happens.  That can be resolved somewhat by making the slot much smaller to prevent some of the movement or keeping the belt tight.  One other issue is the putting knife back in once it has been drawn.  Since the knife is so narrow and the sheath so tight, it's hard to put the knife back in.  Maybe being able to move the sheath to the other angle will help with that, I really don't know.  My cousin wants to try it out like it is.  Then he will provide me with valuable feed back on this design.  

It ain't pretty, it is utilitarian.  I used some scrap leather on this so it has some flaws.  Next one with a more perfect design will look better too.

Today is my oldest son's Birthday.  Thirty-eight and doing a great job as a Dad and Husband.  Wishing him all the best.

Happy Trails








2 comments:

CenTexTim said...

I like the two-slot design. Seems much more practical.

Old NFO said...

Agree with Tim. But it will be interesting to see how it works out.