Monday, August 14, 2017

Monday

Hot weekend here, so I didn't get much accomplished.  I stayed inside with the AC mostly.  I did get started on a leather cover for the wife's Kindle Fire.  I am trying something new (to me).  Filigree is what it is called.  It will be easier to show you than explain it here.  So you will have to wait for pics when I am finished.

Last week I mentioned the rally in downtown libtardville.  The Libs that run the government want to remove a monument to the Confederate Dead.  I kicked around the idea of attending and was on the fence about it.  Other than the +100 degree temps that probably would have put me down I discovered there were several groups that were going to attend, not just the one I belong to.  Some that do things just to antagonize to make their point.  I don't agree with their tactics and don't want to be associated with them even by accident.  So I didn't go.  The city, in all their great wisdom granted a permit to a counter rally (Black Lives Matter) at the same time at the same location.  IMO they are just asking for trouble.  Maybe that is what they wanted.  Hoping the Far Right protesters would do something to the Far Left protesters so they could prove their point that they are filled with hate. Giving them more ammunition.  Yeah, open carry was going on there too.  I don't oppose open carry, but what's the motivation for that here?  Don't tell me that it is just to exercise your constitutional rights.  That isn't motivation.  What is the point in doing that at something like this other than to feed the fire of those on the left.  That would be news they could use to further their agenda.  

Other than one of the far left being arrested for violence (they wouldn't get specific) it was a peaceful rally with everyone chanting slogans back and forth.  I am thankful it didn't turn into a Charlottesville.  I really didn't expect that to happen here anyway.  The only way it would is because outsiders would have prompted it.  Some of those groups I mentioned were just that, outsiders.  It could have gotten ugly.  Will this rally have any effect?  Probably not.  The new mayor is probably farther left than Mitch Landrieu in New Orleans and we see what he did there with those Confederate Monuments.  I expect the same.  No rallies will stop that type of mind.

A lot of other things have been going on that I just don't have the words to chronicle it all.  It's been a trying day.

Happy Trails


3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Glad you did't go... #1 safety rule, DON'T be around large groups of stupid people...

oljames3 said...

Randy, I applaud your discretion. A man has to know his limitations, and I am no longer as physically able as I was once. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

You asked " I don't oppose open carry, but what's the motivation for that here?" I can't answer for anyone else. I carry because I have determined that a full size auto-loading handgun is the best tool for me to use in defending myself and those for whom I am responsible. I carry openly where I legally can because I have decided that carrying openly is the best method for me to use in defending myself and those for whom I am responsible.

While carrying openly is my default method, I will conceal as the situation dictates. For instance, on Sunday morning in the sanctuary at my church so as to not be a distraction. If I felt I would not be safe in a particular location or activity while carrying openly, I would probably not go rather than conceal. The situation tends to dictate.

My reasons are mine, and probably do not apply to others. We each have to decide how best to discharge our responsibilities. As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.

O. Lee James, III
CPT US Army (Ret) Honorable Order of St Barbara
1st Cavalry Division 1973-78

Randy said...

O. Lee James III-thank you for your perspective, I get it, I truly do and carry concealed everywhere. The reason I asked that question, they were carrying long guns. I don't see that as a need to be safe. Also they were organized groups that I will not name here.