Friday, August 25, 2017

Hurricane Harvey

The local news talkers are all atwitter with Hurricane Harvey headed our way.  The local channels pretty much stay on the air 24/7 with weather related info until it's over.  We are currently under Tropical Storm warnings in my area.  We are about 150-175 miles from the projected landfall.  We will see major amounts of rain if it doesn't change course.  They are predicting 10-20 inches just to the east of us by 10 miles.  So we will catch quite a bit.  We will be OK as long as we don't venture out.  The wind is my only real concern and of course the tornadoes that get spawned by these hurricanes.

We live on the side of a hill so we won't encounter high water.  However, the hill slopes down toward the house and my garage has flooded with these conditions before.  It can get a few inches deep in there.  We have made preparations for that this time.  All things that could be ruined by that much water (boxes etc.) have been lifted off the floor.  I went to Home Depot and bought bags of sand and have laid them across the front of the garage door this time.  My back is paying the price.  There was another guy there doing the same thing for his garage.  He got all the bags of sand in plastic bags, I had to settle for paper bags and putting them in trash bags.  I wanted to do the same for my parents at a couple doors to their house that are low to the ground.  They thought I was kidding. My Mom has made arrangements to have a handyman come over and place them for her instead of letting me come into town and do it for her.  This handyman is a bit handicapped (mental) and is 70 years old so I don't have a lot of confidence in him.  But she wouldn't hear of another alternative, me. SMH.  I can only do so much with that.

This hurricane will hit land sometime late tonight or early Saturday.  We will get copious amounts of rain prior to that by about 12 hours.  Then it will continue until the storm travels past.  Maybe 24-36 hours of rain before it gets past.  We will head to the grocers just to top off a few things.

This isn't our first rodeo.  We are ready.

No comments: