Thursday, March 2, 2017

March 2, 1836

On this day in 1836, Texas became a republic. On March 1 delegates from the seventeen Mexican municipalities of Texas and the settlement of Pecan Point met at Washington-on-the-Brazos to consider independence from Mexico. George C. Childress presented a resolution calling for independence, and the chairman of the convention appointed Childress to head a committee of five to draft a declaration of independence. In the early morning hours of March 2, the convention voted unanimously to accept the resolution. After fifty-eight members signed the document, Texas became the Republic of Texas. The change remained to be demonstrated to Mexico.

This date seems to have lost some of it's significance over the years around Texas.  I would venture to say if you asked some random person on the street what today is, they would have no clue other than to say
Thursday.  I have made sure I have taught my Sons.  I even text them to see if they remember.  Now it behooves me to pass that along to my Grands.  And yes, they answered correctly with the texts.  I will hang my Lone Star Flag that flew over the Alamo on March 6, 2004, another significant day for Texas.  Can you guess?

Someone asked me the other day where I was from.  Since they were foreigners (not a Native Texian) I excused this question and answered with the city of my birth.  They were somewhat surprised as they had met few natives.  They thought it rare.  I can agree, you can't find an overabundance of natives these days even though our county is on the plus side of 2 million.  We have a lot of foreigners moving here as they have discovered our secret.  Unfortunately they bring things that are strange to my eyes and ears. 
Consequently I do all I can to preserve the memory of those that sacrificed so much for our Republic.  I hope to live to see the Bi-centennial of our Texas in 2036.  It's a long shot at this point.  Hopefully those that control those things will give it due diligence and a proper celebration.  

Happy Texas Independence Day.


2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yea US!!! :-)

CenTexTim said...

I had a Shiner or two in celebration, although I was really tempted to grab a Lone Star in the new "Come and Take It" can. If you haven't seen it yet check one out next time you're in a convenience store.

As an aside, I'm old enough to remember when a convenience store was called an ice house...