Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Replacement

Our microwave oven went out.  Kim wanted to call a repairman rather than getting a new one.  It appears these things seem to have issues after just 5 years.  This one was 6.  

I looked around online for the issues we were having with this model.  The circuit board is probably what needed to be replaced.  You get one for about $100.  I know nothing about these things and after looking at ours I really couldn't even see an access panel to replace it if I decided I wanted to tackle it.  Kim still wanted to call a serviceman, her faith in my abilities not withstanding.

I told her we should just replace the whole thing, the board's price and the service call would probably be more or close to the cost of a replacement.  Did a little search online and found our model is no longer produced.  That could be an issue since it is an over head model, above the stove and attached by a special bracket on the wall.  I was hoping to just pull the old one and slide a new one in the same spot.  No such luck.  While the new ones are very similar the bracket attachment has been changed.  

Against Kim's (better) judgement I opted to install it myself and save some $$.  We worked together (well as best we could with our different ways of approaching things) and got that thing in.  I only sliced my thumb once.  No, the other one this time.  

Hope this one lasts a little longer.  The other one was 6 years old.

Happy Trails.

No comments: