Saturday, May 28, 2016

Memorial Day

While trying to come up with a post worthy of this Memorial Day, I would see a lot of 'meme's on the book of faces in regard to it.  While the meme's seem to be getting more and more cliche' some do actually make me think.  I have seen several over the weekend about thanking a veteran for their service during this holiday.  I also recall this seems to have become a practice for this holiday for a few years now.  While it is a worthy thing to do, I think it also does a bit of disservice to the actual meaning of the day.  While I don't think those that have served get confused about this day, I do think much of the general public doesn't distinguish between Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.  They both have their special meanings and neither one is to taken lightly, however I think that not distinguishing between the two trivializes Memorial Day somewhat, or detracts from it's meaning, maybe that is a better description than 'trivializes.'  In our rush to honor our military we seem to forget that this day is much different from Veteran's Day.  

Memorial Day is set aside as a day to remember, remember those that have made the ultimate sacrifice.  Those that died in or from combat, fighting for their/our country. 

I read one current member of the military's (who has seen more than his share of combat the last few years) post on Facebook about being thanked for his service.  He didn't want thanks for his service, he didn't do it for that person, he did it for his country.  It would irritate him, and he thought they were doing it only as an empty gesture to ease their own conscience.  His post went on a little longer but that was the gist of it.  He may be right to an extent.  I am not quite sure I understand where he is coming from entirely.  I always believed that our 'Country' was the people that made it up.  It's not just a piece of geography or a spot on a map.  Maybe he is just a but more cynical due to his experiences, or maybe he had a bad day or experience with that recently, I don't know.  I would agree that a flippant or less than meaningful 'thanks' would upset a veteran.  It made me question all the times I did thank a veteran or any member of the military for their service.  However, I have never received a negative response from any of them, ever.  I doubt I will stop.  I do find it difficult to do at times, it is very emotional for me.  I have to cut it short or I will embarrass myself.

Memorial Day has been an official holiday only since 1971.  This really surprised me.  I know it had been observed over the years since the War Between the States.  Both North and South had their own Memorial Days.  When it was made into a National holiday it was supposed to honor the dead on both sides along with every other war in our history.  Yes, Southern soldiers were officially recognized as American Veterans and thus were and have been honored in similar fashion though with much less fanfare, as any other American Veteran.  Now that is about to change.  The mass graves of Southern soldiers will no longer have the flag they fought under flying over them in National Parks or cemeteries.  I won't go into the why's of this current thinking.  I just think it is sad that there are those that sit in judgement of a different time and way of life and thinking.  They put their PC mind to work on every little issue and go out of their way to condemn others they never knew and really have no inkling of their mindset.  

I see them all as Americans.

If you are a veteran, I salute you and am more than grateful for what you did, whether it was for your country, your family of just yourself.  Thank You from Patriot.



5 comments:

Old NFO said...

Thanks Randy, but it's really for those who didn't come home, and you're right, we NEED to get PC politics out of this day...

Harry Flashman said...

Well, at least we have Martin Luther King day now.....

A lot of people feel conflicted about their military experiences. I know I appreciate it when people say something like "thank you for your service" but generally, unless they are veterans themselves, they don't understand what that may have entailed. That can cause a flash of irritation in some people that they know is unmerited but they can't help it.

SUERTE said...

Thanks Randy, hope you are well!

oljames3 said...

Many of us are attention-averse. Especially those of us who have seen combat and lost friends. There is a certain amount of survivor's guilt.

I try to thank each service member I see on any day of the year. On Memorial Day, I like to think that I am standing in for those who can no longer stand. I am representing for those who cannot be present. So, to my usual "you're welcome", I'll add "and we thank you."

There are many good reasons for serving in the military. Warriors do it because we cannot imagine doing anything else. Not for glory or recognition, so that tends to be a little embarrassing.

O. Lee James III
CPT US Army (Ret) Honorable Order of St Barbara

Randy said...

O. Lee James III-thanks for your thoughts and coming by, and a heartfelt 'thank you for your sacrifices'