Monday, May 16, 2016

Fleas

The fleas are pretty bad this year.  At least at our house.  I don't know why.  We have never had any real issues with fleas before except for one time, many years ago.  It is a bit of an embarrassment to me but I know it happens to others if you have pets.

Apparently that was much of Buster's issue with his scratching.  We checked him but could never find them.  We also had the vet check him for possible allergies that might have been causing the itching.  They didn't find fleas but saw the 'flea dirt' they leave.  The groomers found no fleas either.

We have always used preventive measures with Buster, and it has worked, until now.  Kim bought a cheaper treatment and apparently it was cheaper for a reason, it didn't work.  We now have them under control, but only on him.  

I was doing some things in my garage and noticed all these little spots on my ankles.  Yup fleas.  The garage is where Kim's cat, Sparky stays at night.  She is an indoor cat, so her getting fleas is a huge surprise.  She has NEVER had them before.  Maybe she got them from Buster.  He is mostly an inside dog too.  He does go outside, but it is usually for very short periods when we go out.  So him getting fleas is a surprise too.  Maybe it's from the neighbors dogs that are outside most of the time.

I bombed the garage.  First indications are it worked.  The next day I find more fleas on me.  Maybe the garage area was to big for the small bomb.  I set out two cans to bomb it again.  Hope that takes care of the problem and soon.  The garage is our main egress and ingress to the house.  Don't want those pests in the house.  So we have been using an alternate entrance until that is taken care of.

It also appears that Sparky is breathing her last.  No, she isn't in the garage during any of this.  She is almost 18 years old.  It makes Kim so sad but she is practical about it.  She knows it's probably going to happen soon.  Fortunately she doesn't appear to be in pain.  She has stopped eating and drinking almost completely and won't move much at all.  She has lost a lot of weight recently.  This came on very fast.  We are trying to make her comfortable as we await the inevitable.  After 18 years I am sure there will be a few tears.  Kim has already shed a few.   With her very tender heart it is something I expect.  I hate seeing Kim in pain of any kind.


Since I wrote this Sparky has passed over the Rainbow Bridge.


2 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

We use "Revolution" on the ferrets. We get it at the vets and it costs about $50.00 for three little tubes. You have to use one tube per ferret, per month. If I never let them outside, we could save the money, but they like to go walk in the meadow. It's the highlight of their day. We don't let the indoor cats out, and while we do put Pet Guard Plus on the dogs, the outdoor cats never seem to have a flea problem. I got fleas in the shop one time when I took one of the outdoor cats and put her in the shop because she was getting too old to be outside in the winter. I put flea medicine on her but apparently not soon enough. I had to bomb the shop and it was a real pain in the rear. Fleas as just another hazard of living out in the bush and having animals.

Randy said...

Harry Flashman-We have used revolution in the past. It seems to have stopped working, maybe they build a resistance. We are trying a new flea collar the vet recommended. Unfortunately is doesn't seem to be working. Bath time flea treatment was this morning. I know it has worked for the moment. The garage appears to be flea free at the moment. the vet has said this will be one of the worst years for fleas.