Thursday, April 28, 2016

Truck

Thursday morning I am finally taking my truck in to the dealer for some work. I have a recall notice for the airbags and I need a brake job on the front. The rear brakes may need some attention but I won't get those done, I am pretty confident they are OK. I just don't want the additional cost at this time. 

The brakes have been doing that stuttering thing when the rotors get warped for some time. They have also started a growling noise. Whenever I hit the brakes a little hard it makes Kim nervous, maybe she thinks it won't stop. She started bugging me to get them done. So they will get done. Kim has complained about the early appointment time 8:00 AM over in the next town. She is not a morning person and has threatened to let me go and wait until she gets there LOL. 

I used to do all my own work like this. But over the years I became less and less inclined to work on any of our vehicles. One of the main reasons is the technology of vehicles has out paced my knowledge. It makes it hard to diagnose issues and it is much too expensive now to buy a part that you think will fix the problem and have it not be the issue. Plus, I have spent more than my share of working on junkers to keep them running that I have gotten to where I loathe the work. 

Yes, the dealer will probably be a bit more expensive than the local corner garage. But I have learned over the years, I know it will get done right (most of the time) and I can get OEM parts that last much much longer.  It is worth that peace of mind to me, especially because we keep a vehicle longer than most. I have had this one 12 years and don't expect to get rid of it anytime soon. 

Happy Trails

No comments: