Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Fiesta

It's that time of year in San Antonio.  The biggest party of the year.  There are events all over the city at any one time from the previous Thursday through next week.  

Parades, at least 4, and they are all big.  The biggest is on the last Saturday night, the Fiesta Flambeau.  It is such a big deal here.  When I was younger even into my early adulthood you were able to just show up and find a spot to enjoy the night parade.  It was very enjoyable, the evening provided relief from the heat and every parade entry had some sort of lighting effects.  Now it has gotten so big that if you don't purchase tickets for a spot to watch, you won't see it unless you stay home.  There are estimates of 300K to 500K parade watchers at this one.  

I marched in it once a few years ago, in the vanguard portraying a Texas CSA infantry private.  It is a very different perspective being in it as opposed to watching.  It's only about 3 miles long winding through the streets of downtown and in front of the Alamo.  But when you are wearing a 19th century jean wool uniform and hobnail brogans it seems much much longer.  


These are not from that parade, this was in Boerne, a small town to the north.  I didn't have pics of the big one.

Glad I did it once, but I will leave that to the younger folks.  It was in the upper 80's but by the time we got to the end I was having issues just putting one foot in front of the other.  One of several heat related issues I experienced wearing that wool uniform.  I can't imagine doing that in the summer much less fighting a battle in one.  The heat actually forced me to retire from doing living history.  I didn't need to be passing out in front of school kids or boy scouts.

OK, I got a bit off track.  The weather is playing havoc this year with Fiesta.  Heavy rain and thunder storms are predicted throughout.  Many events will carry on and some may even be cancelled.  But there are always the hearty party bunch here and there will be many libations consumed anyway.  San Antonians don't need much of an excuse to party, so a little rain (or a lot) is just another reason to fiesta.

We don't attend any of the events anymore.  It is a real PITB to get into downtown during Fiesta.  Parking?  You've got to be kidding!  Even if you find parking you are going to pay through the nose.  It's mostly the younger crowd anyway that attends the events, a crowd we are long past in being qualified for.  But if you don't mind crowds and you enjoy getting everyone's beer spilled on you then this is perfect for you.

Happy Trails

 

 


3 comments:

Old NFO said...

I'll be content to look at pictures... I don't do crowds anymore!

Randy said...

Ditto, they even televise a couple of the parades if you're inclined to that sort of thing

CenTexTim said...

Marched in a few of those parades back in my youth (40+ years ago). That cured me of any desire to stand in a crowd of drunks just to watch.

In more recent times, I did get to ride on a float in the Boerne Christmas parade for a few years. Much better than marching. We were even able to drink beer!