Friday, October 19, 2018

Wet

I seems to stay wet here almost constantly these last few weeks.  We have gotten over 33 inches of rain since Sept. 9.  That is way more than we got the entire previous 8 months.  I haven't totalled those numbers yet but my guess is we had less than half this amount in the previous months. There have been plenty of jokes/comments on the book of faces about the wet conditions here.  The long term forecast for my area predicts more rain at least until Monday.  The flooding has been especially bad a bit farther North of us.  We have friends that have a house on the Llano River that was all over the news this last week and previous.  They haven't gotten in it yet but I saw pictures that showed they had completely flooded lower floor along with their Son's new boat having been floated off it's trailer.  No telling where it is now that the water has receded.  I am also sure my Road Hand Brethren have been very busy and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.  Prayers for the safety.  They work a lot of hours and get little recognition for the job they do.  They usually only get recognition when they have inconvenienced someone.

With the wetness and almost constant rain it has delayed me trying to get out and finish up some yard work.  I really need to trim some branches on the 47 Oak Trees we have.  Our neighborhood is have a 'pick up' of brush and such on Nov. 3.  We don't have these very often, a first in fact, and I really need to take advantage of this.  I usually have to haul it to them, not far, but it takes almost all day to haul what I need to haul in my small Ranger.  I have the step-side bed, it is even smaller than the regular bed.  I pack it tight and make trip after trip, but it all has to be done at one time.  I am worn out by the time I finish.  This time I can stack it in bundles or bags and they will pick it up.  They limit us to 2 cubic yards.  I doubt I will have that much. 

Since we are waiting on better weather, we are hitting a couple closets and drawers to get rid of stuff we have held onto much too long.  I am amazed at some of the things we have found I forgot we even had.  I have/had a ton of old gimme caps I had picked up over the years. You know the kind, those with some sort of logo of the business you dealt with.  I had quite a few from over the years, from railroad contractors and railroad companies and various other places.  Yeah, out they went.  I know some were at least 20 years old.  As much as we are getting rid of you would think we have much more space.  No, not near as much as we had hoped.  This is only one room and we need to get in two more.  And then there is the garage.  What a disaster that is.  It has been a 'catch-all' since our surgeries last December.  I hate even think about what I need to do in there.  Ugh.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

WE've only had 7 inches up here, but that is a gracious plenty... And I'm dreading tackling my garage too...sigh