Monday, October 8, 2018

Great Weekend

What great weekend we had.  Everything still has a decided burnt orange glow.  If you have been out somewhere like Outer Slobovia you may not be aware that my favorite football team won the big game against the hated land thieves from that place north of the Red River.  That was a great game.  Yes, I know I probably would not have thought so if it had turned out any different.  However, this one will go down as one of the all time greatest in the long history of this rivalry.  Part of what made this a great weekend is that my oldest son and his son (my Grandson) came to watch the game with Poppy.  I had forgotten that the previous year we had decided to get together to watch this game.  We used to watch every game together when he was at home.  He is just as big a fan as I am and now we have already indoctrinated his son.  He is only 8 and probably doesn't really understand all that goes on in football, but every time Texas scored he would yell 'in your face sucker.'  No idea where he got that but it was funny the first time he said it.  Neither of us went to UT.  I am just a sports fan, and don't really care about what comes out of the college there since they are one of the most liberal of all the colleges in the views of the world.  I became a football fan at a very early age, due to my Uncle and Aunt that met there back in the late 40's early 50's.  Even though they lived in Denver they came to Austin to almost every game and were a big part of several organizations there.  My Uncle was Captain of the Golf team that won the conference championship every year he was there.  His only personal loss was to some guy named Arnold Palmer.  There is so much more I could tell about him but I will cut this short for now.  When that Uncle and Aunt got older they weren't able to attend as often.  By that time my Son was old enough to go with me to a couple games a year on their season tickets they sent us to the games they didn't plan on seeing.  What great memories those are for both of us.

We were also able to spend some time with some great friends from church at a small party.  Our parties aren't really parties and we mostly eat, visit, and then sing songs and the singing is great.  That is one of our favorite things to do.  Yes, I can sing a little.  Usually the bass part.  No I can't really read music but can follow notes and the rest is by ear.  That all just added to a very fine day, although I did miss what was surely a burnt orange sunset.

For the first time in over a month we have no real appointments requiring us to be somewhere, mostly doctors.  We aren't quite sure what to do with ourselves.  I do need to get some yard work done and we will probably go see my parents.  We haven't been over to see them in over two months and we have been reminded of that by my Mother.  Maybe Wednesday will be the day for that.  

We are just going to enjoy the week as it comes and try not to get to busy.  We may make a short day trip to the outlet malls.  I need to replace some old worn out clothes and we have always had good luck there.  And it is near the Cabela's store that I like to go to.  I don't need anything from there but it is fun to look around.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Hehehe, glad you liked it! I didn't watch ANY TV for the last four days. And I'm glad 'somebody' can sing, I sound like a bullfrog with a sore throat... sigh