Monday, October 22, 2018

The Rut

I'm just gonna leave this right here.....








This is a Big Boy for this part of the State.  Most points I have ever counted in my neck of the woods.  13 and they are heavy, not real wide like some we have had here.  I got within about 25' Saturday morning when I saw him he was lying down.  There was a doe  lying down just outside these photos.  I guess they just got finished and were resting up.  He eyed me pretty good but was pretty much unconcerned with my presence and gradually walked away.  Oh, and he stunk, bad.  If you have ever been close to a buck that has been in rut a while they get pretty ripe with the smell of urine and all the hormones that are driving the stupid.  He was 25 foot away and I could smell him, he was very strong in that department.

I have seen him a couple other times walking around and the other bucks steer clear of him.  Watching the wildlife here, mostly deer, is one of the things I never get tired of and thankful we have the chance to see these things since I don't hunt anymore.  We have seen a lot of things that most folks never get to see deer do.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

You don't want 'him' for the pot right now... Rutting deer is NOT good eating!