Monday, May 14, 2018

Mother's Day Sunday

It actually turned out pretty well.  At least K seemed to think so.  The best thing she liked was our boys showed up at church Sunday morning.  This was the first time our new Daughter-in-Law (I call her the Amazon since she is taller than me) had been there so K could introduce her to those there hadn't met her.  She seemed very happy.  

How did the brisket turn out?  Not like I prefered.  I tried a new cut, one that had the fat cap trimmed off.  No, not market trimmed, a little less than that.  I had never done that myself even though everything I read says to do that.  When I saw these at the store I decided to give them a try.  In a word, 'dry.'  At least compared to my usual and also not near as tender, but still had great flavor.  You usually don't even need a knife with the way I cook mine.  For those that like a little bit of chewiness with your brisket, this would have been great.  There are those that like it that way and those that like it falling apart and very moist.  Mine usually falls in the second.  I also tried a new rub I bought when we visited Cooper's BBQ in Llano since I liked the taste so well.  It is saltier than my regular.  I also rubbed it in a let it sit much longer than usual, 24 hours.  That resulted in the rub permeating the meat better, yet since it is salt based, it may have had something to do with the dryness.  That experiment over, I will most certainly go back to the usual untrimmed brisket.  I bought two of the trimmed so I will have to try cooking it just a bit different, probably nest month.  Maybe a little lower heat.  The grill worked fine, I think I was cooking a little hotter than usual also, but maybe not.  I never had thermometers on my old grill, this one has two.  Sticking to tried and true methods seems to work best IMO but I am always willing to try something new to improve even more.  

I also cooked a rack of Baby Back Ribs for the Amazon since she is broken and doesn't' like beef.  They were falling off the bone tender.  When my Son tried to pick them up the bone slipped out of the meat, with no meat on it.  I would say that is pretty tender.  At least the ribs turned out like they usually do.  In fact both boys seemed to have wanted ribs instead of brisket.  I have tons of compliments on my ribs but I don't cook then very often.  Why? Yes, I think they are pretty good too but I get my fill of pork pretty quick.  I just prefer beef.  

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Sigh... Hate it when that happens. And congrats on the ribs, but I'm like you. I don't do them often!