Saturday, December 10, 2016

Saturday Plans

Busy day today.  This is the day we have our annual extended family gathering.  These are all the cousins etc from my mother's and her sisters families.  There will probably be about 40 people gathered.  We all bring food, this time it will be a Mexican food supper.  This year I am bringing a huge pot of beans, the wife will make some desserts.  I usually make my chili (no beans of course) for this meal, everyone loves it.  I am out of most of the fixin's and this year we are trying to conserve a little in order to provide gifts to others in need.  It usually costs me over 50$ to get that chili made when I am out of said fixin's.  We thought it could go to others this year.

So I will be cooking the beans today as Kim heads over to a ladies breakfast and Christmas cookie exchange.  She has missed the last several of these due to working on Saturdays at the resort.  Since they have cut her back so much she now has time to attend.  I love cookies, I hope she doesn't bring too many home with her.  It's not good for my diabetes and I am too weak to resist them completely.

The hard freeze they were predicting didn't materialize this past week, at least not at my place.  We got down to just 34*.  We had some very high winds to go with that temp and it was certainly uncomfortable for this Texas boy while I was out trying to save the last of my tomato plants and cover the tender vegetation. Looks like another mild winter.  We usually have had several freezes by this time of year.  Last year we had no freezes either.  Mild winters are good as far as I'm concerned, but I think some of the vegetation requires some freezing temps.  I'm not plant expert but I seem to remember reading that somewhere.  It also helps with the bugs and makes them less prolific the next season.  At least it seems that way.  I can't remember a winter when we didn't have a freeze over two winters.  We still have a few months so it may still happen.

Happy Trails  

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

We got a low of 22 up here and winds of 30kts plus for a while... Chilly is right!