Monday, December 26, 2016

Anti-Cimatic

The long anticipated Christmas weekend is now gone.  Over in a flash, much too soon for my preferences.  I have always really enjoyed it, although the passion for it has cooled from my days as a child.  However, having kids made it even better.  Now we have Grandkids.  It's almost as fun but we miss that Christmas morning and the excitement of seeing what Santa brought.  

Our traditions and family time has changed over the years to accommodate the growth of new family and the commitments they have with traditions that have developed over the years.  We have been very fortunate as far as getting to spend time with those we care about the most.  The last two or three years, there have been less family gatherings for various reasons, and I don't much like it.  Yes, I am selfish in that regard and I see no solution either.  Christmas day for more than 30 years my wife and kids and then their families along with my brother and his family all gathered at my parents home. They are now too advanced in years to be able to continue that.  

The wife lost her parents several years ago so that is now gone also.  Now my brother has grandchildren and his family gatherings have now changed.  We don't even see them, even though they live 10 minutes away.  But that is another story.

We (my wife and our kids) gather at our home on Christmas eve to eat and open gifts and play with the Grands.  This year due to Kim having to work we did it at my oldest Son's, they did the cooking.  
So that leaves Christmas day to just ourselves as my oldest goes to the in-laws for the day. Sometimes the youngest will come out but he has other plans most of the time.  So Christmas day is much too quiet for my preferences.  Just me and the rib, looking at each other, just like any other day. Except we couldn't even go out to eat after church since nothing was open.  We had thought we were going to my parents since they were alone also, but it turns out they went to my brothers and his big gathering.  Yeah, I am not liking how this is going.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Yep, traditions do change, not always for the better.