Sunday, December 18, 2016

After Two Years

We have gotten freezing weather.  Along with 30-40 mph winds.  It cuts right through this old Texas skin.  I know it isn't cold compared to most other places, but when this is all you know, it seems much to cold to my old bones.  It is supposed to be even colder Monday morning, which is fine, it is predicted to be around 23*, I just want the freaking wind to let up.  I have taken all the precautions in order to prevent a frozen pipe or two.  I don't think we have ever had any issues with pipes at that temp, but I want to be sure.  The outside faucets are most at risk, I have them insulated and will let them slowly drip overnight.  There are to inside the wall pipes we have had freeze up a couple times, usually when it is only 20 or below.  It has never gotten cold enough to burst one thankfully, even when we had a extremely rare -2*.  That was 30 years ago and may never happen again.  In fact it was a record for this area, the official reading was 0*.  yeah, that was colder than I ever want to experience again.  I could never live in those colder places.

I hope it warms up a little more, I offered to BBQ a brisket for a single Mom after she was asking me how I cook mine.  She wanted to know if she could cook it in the oven.  Well, it will get cooked but it ain't gonna be any good.  She had lots more questions and ideas on how to do it so I just offered to do it for her.  It should warm up enough by Wednesday so I can get to her for her Christmas dinner.

Our usual Christmas festivities are changing this year.  Since Kim may have to work the resort on Christmas eve, the daughter in law offered to cook the meal and have the family time at their house. That will relieve a lot of pressure on Kim.  However, it now looks like she may not work that day anyway.  She has been hit hard business wise this fall/winter which is usually a pretty good time of year.  No idea why.  So we will try to enjoy this one even though we aren't at home where we prefer.

Happy Trails.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Just use the old Marine aphorism, Improvise, Adapt and Overcome. :-)

Randy said...

Old NFO-roger that