Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Still Struggling

Yes, losing everything on your PC, well at least mine, is extremely inconvenient.  Bookmarks have been a major hassle.  Trying to go to your regular sites and realize you don't remember the URL.  Not that hard to get them again, it's just tedious and getting them categorized so I can find them readily.  

Then there are the photos.  I have backups of most of them, but not for the last 3-4 years.  I have some saved from posting them to the book of faces and Flickr but there are hundreds that never made it that far.  So I looked around on the WWW to see what was available, software-wise, to recover old files that get lost/deleted.  I did find a free version and it seems to work well enough to recover a lot of the lost items.  But it is mixed in with junk files too and you have to wade through all of it to recover what you want.  After about 10 hours of letting the software do it's things there are over 100,000 photos.  No, they aren't all mine.  Apparently it even finds photos that your PC caches and deletes.  As it turns out the software will only allow you to recover 100 MB in the free version.  You have to buy the full version at 40$.  Not too bad considering what you get back, at least to me.  I will have to wait a bit to lay that down for new software.  At least I know I can get most of them back.

I am also trying to learn a new web browser.  I had been using Firefox but there are just too many things that aren't working right with Win 10.  So I decided to commit to Chrome.  It works better and seems much faster.  However the bookmarking is a PITB.  I don't like the way it works and why I avoided using it after several tries before.  But Firefox continued to have more issues develop with each update.  With the reloading of all my software I made the change.  No, I don't like Edge either.

The BBQ went off pretty well last Friday.  Everyone seemed to have a good time and enjoy my brisket and beans. Several folks tried to talk me into taking home the leftover brisket.  We had 24 folks over and had room for maybe 2-3 more but it would have been tight.  I think as small as our house is, it went pretty well.

My Daughter-in-laws Grandfather passed away last week.  He was 97 years old.  I have very fond memories of this man, a gospel preacher.  I know very little about his life and hope to learn more at his memorial service Tuesday evening.  I have never seen his face without at smile and he made a point to speak to me every time I saw him, maybe one or two times a year.  That's not a lot of time for a 97 year old to be able to remember someone they saw so rarely.  He was still sharp as a tack and didn't let his physical issues change his demeanor.  Always very gracious and kind.   From the way he moved, I know he must have been in some serious pain, but the smile never left.  He was a pleasure to be around and the epitome of what a christian is.  I learned a few things from him about how to carry yourself as a christian.  While his family is missing, him they are rejoicing with the angels that he has gone home.

Happy Trails



2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Glad at least some things are going well. Prayers for the family.

Harry Flashman said...

Computer problems are always a pain. I back up my stuff to Microsoft's cloud. That way, if I lose the computer or hard drive I can download them directly from the cloud again.

If I make it to 97 and it's quality time, I figure I will have won the brass ring.