Thursday, October 13, 2016

Annexation

Today is the day Texas was annexed into the United States back in 1845.  What a mess that has turned out to be.  A short 16 years later Texans seceded due to the intrusion of big government. Unfortunately that didn't turn out so well and they were forced back into the Union, under duress I might add.  Over the last 8 years or so there have been rumblings of secession again due to big government intrusion.  We haven't gotten pissed off enough yet to go there again, plus the fact that our 'Texas' culture has been so polluted and watered down by the influx of illegals and 'those people' from the north or east/west coasts keeps the political landscape more inclined to big government.  It will only get worse as Texas continues to be a destination state.

The next couple days will be spent trying to get trees and shrubs trimmed back before the cold weather gets here.  The shrubs are rubbing against the house and the little sucker limbs on the trees we trimmed last Spring have returned with a vengeance.  The wife hates the way they look but there are some that are much to low for me to drive my lawn tractor under without knocking my hat off even with me contorting my body.  Those definitely need to go.

We have been talking about taking another day trip down to the coast but the weather has been hotter than usual and being on the beach with little shade in that heat is not fun.  Maybe it will cool off a little more next week.

Have a couple leather projects in the works.  Another cell phone pouch.  No money to made as I had to resort to a kit.  Things are pretty slow on the leather work front so have been holding off ordering more leather.  I did shop around to see what the prices looked like.  I could get a premium side, (that's half a whole cow hide) for 165$ in recent past.  Now they are 195$ and above.  It's a lot of leather but it takes a long time with a lot of little projects to pay that off.  Christmas has been a busy time for me with leather as folks want various gifts made.  I couldn't take any orders 2 years ago due to my surgery and I got no orders that I remember the following.  Just as well, the folks that usually order want it now and depending on how many I have it can be as much as 3 weeks or more for me to turn a product out.  They are always disappointed I can't bail them out with a gift.  Folks just don't know what hand made means anymore.

Happy Trails

2 comments:

CenTexTim said...

You've got it backwards. Texas annexed the US, not the other way around ... :-)

Old NFO said...

LOL, I like Tim's comment... Re hand made, a good friend goes through that with his custom holsters. They are $200 and up, and people constantly try to jew him down under $100 for them, claiming they can get the same thing on line. His comment? "Enjoy shopping online. My price is what it is."