Monday, June 8, 2015

Reinventing the Wheel

I don't understand the mindset of re-working things that are already doing just fine.  Somethings can always be tweeked a little but to rework everything?

There is always someone that has an issue with how something is being done.  This was especially true where I worked.  We were guided by manuals developed by trial and error and science and things worked based on these tried and true methods.  Some parts of those manuals were even based on Law.  So we were required to follow procedures on some issues.

Then a 'purge' happened by a lady politician that held some sort of grudge.  We lost centuries of institutional knowledge with that purge.  Even though we still had the manuals that were developed to guide the way we did things.  BTW, those manuals were developed in one sense to make sure every one was treated fairly.  None of that mattered anymore, the 'new' regime had to make their mark.  It's been over 20 years since that purge and things were still messed up when I left.  You just can't replace such institutional knowledge.  Where you had people with decades of loyal dedicated service in positions deserving of their knowledge and hard work, you now have young kids taking the reins not having paid the price to get there without the knowledge developed by years of experience.  But that didn't matter, we needed to 'think outside the box' even if things were working fine the way they were.  Let's try something different and see how that goes.  I gotta make MY mark and I don't care how it was done before.  I know I'm not the only one that has experienced this but it still makes me shake my head at times when I remember.

Yeah, I'm just an old cliche', a dinosaur.  No, I'm not really upset as it may sounds.  Something has happened recently that made me remember, if it ain't broke....

Happy Trails

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

The mantra today is if it ain't broke, I'll break it so I can credit for 'fixing' it... sigh

Randy said...

agreed