Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Books



I finally finished a book I have been reading this weekend.  It has taken a while.  I am a slow reader and don’t read very long or every day. 

 
I have been a War Between the States student for as long as I can remember.  I have read any number of various books.  Rarely is it a biography like this one was.  While I have read quite a bit about ‘Stonewall Jackson’ I have never read his biography.  I learned much more than I did before.  It is a pretty easy read, doesn’t get bogged down in statistics and what if’s and should have’s like a lot of historians like to put out there.  I hate that crap.  I didn’t realize it was by an author I had read once before fairly recently.  I rarely look for particular authors, this was just lucky.  I really enjoyed the other one too.  

I am not a ‘book reviewer’ by any means and won’t try to tell you this book is for you.  In my opinion this was factual and flowed well enough to not get bogged down.  It is longer than most at 600+ and another 200+ if notes.  I’m glad I picked it up.

The last time I mentioned a book I read I had just started ‘Fix Bayonets.’  A WWI book with several stories from several soldiers.  I didn’t get far in that one.  The language was just too difficult to flow easily and I just didn’t enjoy struggling to get through it.  Maybe another time.

So I will be starting another bio.  This one about a man I have admired my entire life.  I read a bio about him back when I first got interested in the War of Northern Aggression, I was maybe 10 years old. 


Robert E. Lee, I hope to learn a great deal more about him.  There are tons of books out there, no idea why I picked this one, at least I don’t remember, I’ve had it a while.


As for the author of the first book,  S.C. Gwynne,  the other book I read was 


This one was a great read considering how there is very little written about the Commanche that will pass the sniff test.  They were much different than the other Planes Indians.  No religion, no chief, they were the truly free man.  I caught a sense from the author that he admired them more than you might expect.  You make your own judgement if you care to read it.

I rarely read any fiction but will occasionally.  I am awaiting this one to get on the market.  From a blogger I have on my sidebar.  Go visit him Old NFO.


Hope to get the author’s autograph on this one.  I didn't on his other two.  It's not out yet but will be soon.

Happy Trails. 

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Thank you sir! :-)