Monday, September 29, 2014

Weekend

Sunday was a emotional day as has been most of the weekend.  The Preacher and his wife at my congregation are moving away.  It was his last day and then on to work at another congregation closer to family.  I have grown to respect and admire and rely on this man and his family more than I could adequately express.  He has taught me so much through his teaching, but even more so through his actions.  He has helped me grow in my Faith more than he knows.  A true man of  God.  His leaving will leave a huge hole in my life.  But only for a while. 

I continue to receive support and encouragement from a lot of folks and I cannot express how much this means to me.  The offers of help, encouragement and prayers have buoyed my spirits.  I get a lot of messages through the wife.  This is great.  She needs that boost as much as I do and I want her to have it.  They know that their message will get to me.  I know that she is much closer to more people.  Whether it be for me or how she is faring, they are truly concerned.  Some are just more comfortable talking to her. 

I have learned some things about myself through this.  One, I really don't need to be alone with my thoughts to long.  They go to dark places I don't want them going.  It doesn't happen very often but it does happen.  Especially with the fact that the doctor has told me my cancer is not life threatening.  However, the docs always hedge their bets a bit and there is always something else like, 'we will know more once we do the surgery and get the full pathology and also see if we want to look at lymph nodes.'  Even though the numbers for success are incredibly high with this type cancer, there is that huge 'but' that looms in everything they say even if they don't say it.  I manage just fine most all the time, until I have to much time without enough to keep my mind occupied.  Prayer has helped at those times.  But there are times I can't turn that off completely.  Let's face it, the "C" word is a huge fear for most everyone at one time or another.  Writing about this helps in a weird way somehow.  I really can't explain it.  I just hope it reaches someone and they take action that may save their life. 

Hopefully I can grow something positive in myself out of all this.  I think I can try to be more sensitive to folks feelings when they are in crisis mode and maybe be better at saying the right things at the right time.  Or at least less awkward.  Be more prompt in responding to their crisis and making myself available to help where I can.  Rely more in my Faith.  There are two very special ladies that have had and are having their own battle with cancer, that have been so kind and gracious to me offering support.   This touches me deeply.  The grace and strength with which they face their trails is more than remarkable.  If I can match how they handle theirs by a small percentage, I would be doing pretty well. 

Most all want to help a friend or loved one somehow in these situations at one time or another and not knowing what to do or say is a problem for many.  In almost every case and mine especially, I am sure most want as I do no special treatment.  What I do need,  I need you to continue being a friend, or maybe a prayer.  I don't think that asks too much of anyone.  
 
Thanks for stopping by, and fellas, get that prostate checked.

2 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

Praying for good health and a complete healing for you!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Old NFO said...

Thoughts and prayers will continue!