Thursday, September 25, 2014

Die Bambi Die!!!!!

I  just have to relate an incident while on the way to drop the wife's car off for service that just left me shaking my head.  There are a lot of deer in our neighborhood and surrounding area.  There is not a day that goes by that there are not multiple deer in our yard.  You get used to how they are and I even tend to read body language if that makes sense. 

I was following the wife down one of the main roads that serve our area.  It's a 4 lane low speed road.  I see a doe crossing the road a ways ahead of me, and I see she has a couple yearlings getting ready to follow her across.  As I approach I am reducing my speed accordingly as yearlings are less predictable.  I eventually have to nearly stop and as one of them steps into the road I am slow enough to come to a complete stop a good car length from it.  All this was done from a speed less then 20 by this point.  There was no hard braking at all just a gently slowing and then stop.  The yearling actually stopped in front of me.  It wasn't alarmed at all.  It gradually turned around and headed back to where it came from while the other yearling just watched.  Just as it is stepping up on the curb, a car that is in the inside lane about 4 car lengths behind me honked.  I looked at him in my side view mirror and assumed he was impatient and wanted the deer to move faster as I hadn't bothered to honk, just waited not wanting to scare the deer.

The deer finally leaves the road and I proceed on.  The car that had been behind me got beside me and a young lady in the passenger seat starts hollering at me as they go past, and her facial expression is angry.  No idea what she said, was wondering what in the world did I do.  I get beside them at the stop sign and she rolls her window down and accuses me of trying to run over Bambi.  WHA...? 

I try to tell her I came to a complete stop 10 feet from the deer,  I know it was a bit farther.  Not much else got out as the male driver then proceeded to cuss me and speed off.  SMH.  Why would I even slow down if I had intentions to hit this yearling?  If I did, I would have sped up so when I hit it, it would fly over the roof and into the bed of my truck so I could butcher it when I got home.  So I think, self, what are these folks thinking?  If I was that crazy to try and hit a deer by coming to a dead stop, why aren't they worried about cussing such a psycho?  I mean, think about that. 

I have fallen behind at this point and am going to make a left turn at the next street.  So I have to get into the lane they are in.  I do this and they then activate their blinker to turn left also.  Well, just let them think what I'm thinking I might be.  I intentionally don't let them get to far ahead and fall in behind them after the turn.  I can tell they think I am following.  No, I didn't even tail gate or make any gestures.  I did change lanes when they did, just want them to reconsider the next time they feel compelled to cuss some one that might be nuts.  They very soon turn left again, I keep on going my regular way without even a glance back to see if I am getting a salute.   Just shaking my head to the absurdity of it all.  

I have gotten some feed back from some visitors to this blog about having difficulty leaving a comment.  If you read and comment on other blogs you may also have had to have an ID established with either a Google account, an AIM account or the others listed on the drop down menu.  I don't know what some of the ones listed are.  I have a Google account so I sign in using that ID.  I have changed the settings so anyone can comment anonymously.  If we know each other please identify yourself somehow in the comment.  However, I suspect that anyone can anonymously say whatever they want.  I believe we all have the right to say whatever we want, but I also believe that if you say something that is hurtful or just ugly I have the right keep it off of here.  So I will moderate the comments.  My house, my rules.

Thanks for stopping by

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Ah yes, deer... Unpredictable at best, and a smart move. The idjits behind you? Stoopid at best... And I'm surprised they didn't call the cops on you for 'stalking' them... sigh

Randy said...

Yes, thought about them calling the cops. I did let the emotions get a little to out of hand. Backed off quicker than it may sound here. Thanks again.

Terry and Linda said...

We call the deer that hang around in towns--Fort Deer...you know like those Fort Indians that gave up early just for a drink of Fire Water and a taste of sugar!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Randy said...

Ms. Linda that is a perfect description. I know exactly what you are saying from all the reading I do.