Friday, September 26, 2014

Have You Done It?

This is mainly directed at the men that come here, but Ladies, I'll have a message for you also.

OK fellas, gonna get down and dirty here.   Most of us men don't go to the doctor very often if at all.  And we don't even like to talk about health things we know we should do either.  Yup, it's a guy thing. 

I want to use my experience with cancer to help others be more aware of things they should be doing even though it is one of the things guys hate most. 

I was talking with a very close friend last night at church.  I was trying to encourage him to get his PSA levels checked.  Giving him as much info as I could.  I told him they found mine quite by accident, it was a just part of a routine check by a Urologist that I was seeing for another issue.  There are  NO symptoms for prostate cancer according to my Urologist.  If there are, it may be already to late ( my opinion).  I told him I would take him to the doctor to get at least his PSA levels checked.  I told him he meant to much to me to let this happen to him. He said it was a date, a year from now.  I know he thinks I'll forget.

 Well the feed back I got was that he never goes to the doctor and doesn't even have a doctor.  This kinda took me by surprise, because he is an older gentleman, and by that time most of us have a regular doctor at least, or so I assumed

Fellas, the finger wave gave my doctor NO indication that cancer was present.  It was normal.   So make sure that when you go to the doctor you get him to run a PSA test on your blood.   The key I'm told is if your PSA numbers have risen by a certain percentage over a period of time that there is a concern.  And It's not a big percentage either.  No one I know enjoys going to the doctor and especially for this check.  I tease my doc about it, asking him, "What. no dinner and movie first?" or "soft lights and music please."  As bad as it is for us, just think how bad it is for him.  Think about that.  Exactly.

So fellas, get checked ASAP, it could save your life and you owe it to your family, loved ones to be there for them and do your job.

Ladies, I know the male species is hard headed about more things than you will ever understand.  But this is one area you MUST prevail if you love or care for any man.  I know it can be almost impossible to get him to go, but you must.  This is your challenge, to get him to the doctor if he hasn't been getting checked regularly.  This is the male's Breast Cancer.  And that is not meant to make light of that at all or make it any less serious.  I lost a mother-in-law to Breast Cancer and I check with the wife regularly to make sure she does what she knows she needs to do.

Hope you are listening in your heart.  Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Thanks for the blunt assessment... Ignorance is NOT bliss... sigh...

Randy said...

Exactly, we men are like that. Hope it gets through to someone.