Monday, September 22, 2014

Howdy from front porch of the Texas Hill Country

I am starting this blog, not because I think I am any sort of writer or even a bit interesting, but my main reason is to document for myself some things that are going on in my life and be able to look back on this as a time reference.  I find myself on the non PC side of most of the issues today, especially in the realm of religion, morality, politics, etc.  I'm sure you get the idea.

This first post will be a bit longer and wordy than I hope this to be, have to catch up from a couple weeks of events this time. 

A few weeks ago, I was referred to a Urologist.  He does some blood work etc. and tells me the results indicate that I have a 20% chance of cancer of the prostate and did I want to have a biopsy.  This isn't even why I had been referred to him so you can imagine my shock.  This is all he had to say, nothing else at all, just waiting for my response.  I told him I didn't know enough about any of this to make an informed decision that I needed to rely on his advice/information.  Maybe he was in a hurry that day, I don't know.  Wasn't to happy with how this all came about.  Only thing else he said is that he thought a biopsy was 'overkill.'  OKaaay....Still a bit shell shocked, I just agreed at that point and made the follow up appointment for 1 month. 

In the mean time I managed to see a medical pro that is like a brother to me and he was able to give me a bit of piece of mind.  Also saw my regular physician and explained to him what took place.  He echoed what my friend told me.  As I had an appointment already scheduled we would wait and see how the next Urologist visit went.

Well, as you can probably guess it wasn't rainbows and unicorns.  First thing out of the mouth of the PA was, 'he wants you to have a biopsy, your numbers are still climbing.'  More shock and disappointment you can be sure.  Biopsy is scheduled.

Friday Sept. 12 is the biopsy.  Not at all a pleasant event.  Have no idea why anyone would want that job the poor guy helping the Urologist has.  Guess that is why he wasn't in a real humorous mood.  Tells me he fully expects to call me in a week to 10 days with good news given my numbers were so low.

Wednesday Sept. 17 the Urologist calls before 8 AM with the results.  Cancer, the thing I have had this fear of all my life.  Goes on to explain it's not life threatening BUT it does need to be treated and can I come in soon so he can lay it all out for me.  Great.  Just great.  Get scheduled for the coming Friday.  The wife walks in about that time and I have to explain that to her. 

A bit about this woman that is the love of my life.  She has seen so much sickness and heartache with her parents and many friends.  I vowed to myself to try to take care of myself as well as I could so I wouldn't burden her with more.  I know, I know, not a lot you can do about this.  However, she has the most tender heart of anyone I have ever known.  Almost to tender, it can get hurt easily.  But, she is also a very strong woman and rebounds in an amazing fashion.  But, still didn't want to see that look in her eyes when I told her.  I was actually more calm than I would have expected.  I believe my Faith in the Almighty has grown over the last 2 years more than at any other time, and is the reason for my demeanor.  I believe in the power of prayer. 

Our conference with the doc was on Friday Sept. 19.  He spent an hour with us laying it all out and the options.  He answered all our questions and some we didn't know to ask.  In short, with my age and the large amount of cancer they biopsy revealed, I am not a good candidate for radiation and surgery was in his opinion the best option.  So we are going to jerk that thing outta there.

We have an appointment scheduled for Oct 3 to see the surgeon.  All he does is prostatectomies.  We will see what he has to say and when the surgery is scheduled for.

I apologize for the length of this, and the lack of humor and interesting things.  Guess this isn't a way to build a blog following at all.  But, remember, that's not the real reason why I started this.  Just need to document this for my failing memory.

Oh, I will have a few rants in the future about politics or government.  May talk about my guns and my dog and my kids and grandkids and just general things going on here in this part of Texas.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. What a huge bit of news. I know you and your amazing wife with take the bull by the horns and get through this quickly. You are both such amazing people and your Tennessee family loves and thinks of you often. We will be praying for you and keeping up with your blog. xxxooo

Randy said...

Thanks Chrissy for your kind words.

Terry and Linda said...

Man! I'm so sorry about all of this! Magic thought, prayers and crossed fingers that everything will go well and recovery will be FAST!!!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Old NFO said...

Truly sorry to hear this... If you don't object, I'm cross posting this.

Anonymous said...

We talked about this last time we chatted on here brother. You have been in my prayers since then. Anything I can do just let me know. Get well soon so you can come visit. I don't know if my name will show up on here but so you know, this is Domingo.

Mike Reagan said...

Sorry to hear this... I had it 5 years ago; I was 45 so they did the surgery, but luckily no radiation because is was encapsulated. For me, it was the second go-around. I had kidney cancer about 15 years ago. The docs talked about the ease of the surgery, but it was a tough few months dealing with the side effects. I wish that I would have understood them better. I think it would have been easier to deal with. Anyway, I'm sure they'll take care of you. Good luck!

Randy said...

Thanks again, this means a lot to me.

Randy said...

Wow, from a blogger I have read for a while now that I know is known by a lot of the blogs I read, this is really an honor to me. Of course, post away, hope it can help others think about getting checked.

Ed Bonderenka said...

May our Father provide health and prosperity for you that you might continually watch over and protect your wife and fulfill the job He has for you.

Randy said...

Thank you much sir.

Randy said...

Hey Brother, I know I can count on mi compadre. Need to get down there when all this is over so the wife can meet this Domingo guy I keep telling her about.

Randy said...

Your thoughts as someone that's been there are greatly appreciated. Hope you are doing well.