Monday, November 12, 2018

Weather, Really? and What's Up With Florida?

The weather here is the news of the day.  It has been cold, blustery and wet.  Much more wetness on top of the extremely wet Fall we have already had.  Now they say another very cold Cold Front is on it's way to this part of Texas.  We live just on the Southern edge of the Texas Hill Country.  We are a few hundred feet higher in elevation than that big city to our South.  About twice as high.  So some of the weather gets significantly cooler at various times, even at just a few hundred feet.  Sometimes there is no difference and sometimes we are even warmer.  Nothing predictable.  I can't explain it.  This affects my garden.  I have tomato plants in the ground currently with loads of green tomatoes.  The first freeze is usually around the end of November so I can harvest tomatoes by that time.  Apparently Mother Nature has some very different plans for us.  They are predicting our first freeze to be possible by Tuesday morning.  It's touch and go as the say maybe 31*.  My plants can survive that.  However, the 25* predicted for Wednesday morning will kill them dead.  No tomatoes unless I pull the green ones and let them ripen in the house.  They are usually less than ideal when I do that.  Not sure I want to mess with them.  Most likely I will harvest at the last minute sometime Tuesday.

I got the call to come get my processed venison Saturday.  Less than a full week after I took it in.  Picked it up today and them split it with Son #1.  We got over 80#'s of hamburger.  Had them add some tallow to it.  Plus the back straps we kept whole.  That will last us a good while.  The kids aren't real familiar with cooking it and so I gave them some tips.  They had not had a good experience with the little he had from last year.  He had some of the ham's made in to steaks, like a rib eye steak, about 1" thick.  They didn't care for how that turned out, LOL.  Too dry and tough on the grill.  I think I got him where he can enjoy this a little more.  The wife and I have plenty of experience as we only ate venison for a few years when the kids were very young and we were very poor.  We developed some pretty good recipes out of necessity.  Adapt and overcome.  

On another note, Why? Why is it always Florida?  Election garbage and vote counting fiascos seem to be the norm for the last twenty years or so.  Ever since 'W' and the Supreme Court 'stole'  the election from poor ole innocent Al gore.  Are the people there really that incompetent that they can't avoid some sort of controversy? Nah, don't answer that.  I just need to rag on those goof balls.

Happy Trails


1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Think Solar Minima... Lack of sunspots means cold/wet, and we're in the worst one in well over 10 years. And Florida is/has been crooked forever. Between the snowbirds from the NE, and the Hispanics, it's always a fight for control/money/bribes