Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Garden/Tooth/Football

The weather here has had some significant changes over the last 3 weeks.  Since Sept. 9 I have measured 27.4 inches of rain in my gauge.  We have had years where we didn't get that much and we have gotten that in 3 weeks.  Needless to say things are a bit soggy.  On top of that, there hasn't been much sunshine either.  My tomato plants haven't grown enough, from what I see, that they will be productive this fall.  There are no blooms and I would think I would have had some already if I was going to harvest any tomatoes before the first frost.  There just  hasn't been enough sun.  Similar to what we experienced this past Spring when the winter ended with a very long cloudy spell.  Growth and development of plants were retarded and I harvested very little and then an unusual heat hit us in early June.  That heat wave killed any chance of setting fruit.  The garden has just not had good luck this year.  I will still try to find some onions and get them in the ground here shortly.  Now we have significantly cooler weather also.  It never got into the 70's yesterday and has felt wonderful even though it is very humid.

I have been struggling with the aftermath of my tooth extraction.  It was very painful for several days.  Not at all what I expected or experienced from my wisdom teeth extractions.  Those were a cakewalk.  I called the dentist Monday to see what he has to say about the pain I am experiencing and just how much longer that it will go on.  It has not lessened at all, which I would think it would a little each day.  The wife thought I had a dry socket, whatever that is, and from what we read on google, she may be right.  But it also appears there is not a lot you can do other than wait it out or have them reopen the hole.  Sheesh, this is getting old in a hurry.  The doc treated my 'socket' as if it was the dry socket even though it looked normal.  They said I should have called much sooner.  Well, I didn't know how this was supposed to go.  Finally that socket treatment seemed to do the trick.  I'll give it a couple days, like he said and go back in if it doesn't work out.

My Longhorns seem to have finally found a direction to head other than down or all over the place.  They have soundly beaten two every good teams in consecutive weeks.  This is a 180 degree turn from the first two weeks.  The sooners are just two weeks away.  Yes, there is a game in between and they have lost on their field every time since 2002.  I don't think they will be looking past K State.  For the first time in a very long decade of bad football, I have some hope.  But that has happened before and I won't be surprised to see more bad football.  It's just not what the Longhorn faithful want to see happen any more.  They have stunk it up since they met Alabama for the National Championship in 2009.  

Hook 'em

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Glad the tooth is getting sorted out (or lack of tooth)... Football is... football... Sigh

Randy said...

Old NFO, thank you. unfortunately the tooth or dental work is still giving me pain. The dentist seems a bit flummoxed that this has gone on so long even though everything looks like it's supposed to.