Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Well That Was Fun

NOT!  Spent about 3 hours in the ER yesterday.  I had been having some pain in my lower left abdomen for several days.  It would come and go but intensify enough at night to wake me up.  So I called the doc to see if I could get in and check me out.  They couldn't see me until Friday at 4:15.  They also told me that with my symptoms I should go to the ER as they didn't want me to wait that long to get checked out.  With my history of prostate cancer a lot of things were running through my mind and my anxiety was probably worse than the pain.  The thought was that there was something seriously wrong with my plumbing, the boys especially.  

So we headed over to the ER and got right in.  I am extremely modest and having a stranger handle my junk is just not at the top of my list of fun things to do.  Not to mention it was a female doctor and that increased my anxiety.  The exam was uncomfortable enough in itself.  They took my blood and did a cat scan.  There could be any number of things wrong, the one the doc mentioned was a kidney stone.  That had never crossed my mind and I didn't think that was it at all from what I have been told.  Well the blood was OK and they ruled out any infection of the plumbing tract.  But, the scan revealed a hernia.  Yup, so I may be facing another surgery.  I will be seeing the PA in my doctor's office this Friday anyway, at the ER doc suggestion.  I will see what they have to say and if they think I need to see a surgeon or not.  My thoughts are all over the place but hoping they tell me it isn't that bad.  I don't have a clue if that is even an option.  But it may be best to get it done now than wait until I am even older.  Sheesh, what next?  It could always be worse.  At least now I know, the not knowing is the hard part and is the root of anxiety.  No, I don't have anxiety issues.

On the way home we stopped at the grocer and got a few items to make Caldo de Res, (Beef soup, Mexican style) since the weather has turned off wet and cold.  Hard to beat a good bowl of Caldo on a day like this.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Glad it's not 'major' Hernia surgery is a PITA, but you get through it. I've had two done, and you're not gonna be moving real fast for a few days.